A Lover And A Fool

The maidens were already downstairs in the kitchen getting dinner ready. Without Margaretta or Andrea's supervision, the whole thing seemed to rushed. The haphazard ways in which the maidens handled the food and drink made you irritable. You stomp over to one of them and take the pan from her.

"You're supposed to seer it! It's almost burnt on one side!" you scold her. She seems to be very young. As young as Olivia, even. The maiden observes what you do with the piece of meat and then takes the pan from you to finish cooking. You look around and notice that all the maidens were young girls. The older, more mature ones may have been given that well deserved holiday. You walk over to another set of maidens. The three girls were deciding on the wine glasses. You point your finger to one of the glasses and the girls take the hint.

Suddenly, you hear running and giggling from the hall. Maria and the three maidens from earlier today entered. They were fixing the buttons on their uniforms and combing their hair with their fingers. The other maidens in the kitchen took note of their presence and looked over in their direction. Maria noticed the attention she was getting and cleared her throat.

"Enough of your foolishness, you three. Get to work." she frowned at maidens one, two and three. When the other maidens of the kitchen turned around to go about their work, Maria winked at her posse, making them giggle, uncontrollably, like little children. Maria looks around and her eyes land on you. She straightens her back, lifts up her chin and walks over to you, snobbily. You raise an eyebrow as she nears you.

"You think your little walk is supposed to intimidate me, Maria?"

She raises her eyebrows and narrows her eyes "Excuse me, Miss. Y/N. You have no right to question me. I believe the dishes need washing. Go, now. Or should I tell Alcina that you're misbehaving?" she smirks. You raise both eyebrows at her foolish cockiness. She was trying her best to assert dominance but her petite frame and childish attitude was only making you laugh. Your eyes wander to her neck where you see a big love bite.

"That must hurt." you say.

"What?" she rubs her fingers on the area you were staring at. She grabs a plate from behind you and looks at her reflection. She opens her eyes wide and looks at you. She composes herself almost immediately and hands you the plate.

"Jealous? Alcina was at it since noon." she smirks. 

"Oh, Alcina did that? She must really like you. But it's odd..." you frown.

"What's odd? The fact that I'm more enticing than you?" Maria smirks.

"Oh, I'm sure you are but..." you place your index finger on your chin, sarcastically "I don't remember Alcina ever smelling like a man."

Maria opens her mouth in shock. She doesn't know what to say so she just stares at you.

"I s-said go back to work, now!" and with that, she turns around and runs to her posse.

You shake your head and go over to do the dishes. The three maidens of Maria listen to what she says and looks over to you. You smirk and wink at them, making them whisper to each other. You turn around to face the dishes again and start to clean them.

Silence befalls the kitchen. You could hear the clicking of heels and the sound of buzzing. The maidens arrange themselves as they should and wait for lady Dimitrescu and her daughters to settle down. Two maidens pick up the plates and enter the dining hall. You were standing near the sink so you could see nothing. Once the plates and the flasks were placed, the maidens come back in. Maria was standing opposite to you by the counters and twiddling her thumbs. She was trying her best to hide her fear but failed, miserably. You shake your head and giggle.