Part 2 - Chapter 31

After the Toman gathering, I went home to take off my uniform and change into comfier clothes. Then I walked to Ran and Rindou's apartment to bring back the clothes Rindou had let me borrow the night before.

Ran is the one who opened the door.

"Hi." I smiled at him.

"Hi." He greeted me back, leaning against the doorframe. 

It was the second time him and I saw each other that day. Third time actually, if we counted the breakfast this morning. But he wasn't the one I had come to see as I had already apologized to him for the way I had stormed out of his apartment this morning. There was one more person I needed to apologize to.

"Is Rindou here?" I asked.

"Yeah." Ran grinned knowingly as he stepped to the side to let me in.

After closing the door, he jerked his chin to the kitchen as he walked past me, and I looked in that direction. Rindou was busy chopping red peppers with a knife. His back was to me so he didn't know I was here yet.

I glanced back at Ran who winked at me before disappearing down the hallway, leaving me and his brother alone.

I quietly entered the kitchen where I watched Rindou in silence for a minute. His head was slightly dropped forward as he stared down at the vegetables he was cutting, each flex of his arm muscles visible through his black T-shirt.

"Hey." I said as softly as possible to avoid startling him.

The regular chopping motion of his knife came to a halt as his body stilled, but Rindou didn't turn to look at me.

"I came to give you your clothes back." I explained, setting the pile of freshly washed clothes on the kitchen counter to my left. "Also," I reached into my pocket and pulled out a 50-dollars bill that I placed on top of the pile of folded clothes. "Here are the 50 dollars I owe you for the morning-after pill."

No response.

"Thank you for what you did for me yesterday." I added, but Rindou remained silent. "I understand you're mad at me for joining Toman." I said, resisting the urge to take another step towards him as I didn't know how he'd react.

Still no response.

I had expected him to be mad at me, but not mad enough to ignore me completely.

I sighed, my shoulders slumping. "I'll just leave then."

I turned around to walk out of the kitchen, but he chose this moment to finally speak.

"I'm not mad at you for joining Toman."

I turned back around and watched him as he resumed chopping the peppers, his back still to me.

"You're free to do whatever you want. I'm just mad because..." He paused for a moment, his shoulders tensing. "...because I won't be able to protect you tomorrow."

Oh.

I closed the distance between us and leaned my back against the kitchen counter right next to where he was standing. He didn't look at me, not even when I studied his side profile, trying to catch his gaze.

"I don't need you to protect-" I started, but he slammed his knife on the cutting board, interrupting me.

"I know you don't." He said, his eyes still riveted to the vegetables, his jaw clenched. "You don't need me to protect you and you don't need me to take care of you but..." He paused, finally looking at me. "What if I want to protect you and take care of you?"