Chapter 18

I was waiting in line to grab my food at the cafeteria when Hanma, who stood behind me in line, asked me a question.

-Are you okay?

I turned around to face him.

-Yes?

I asked, a little surprised that he was talking to me.

-You look uncomfortable.

His golden eyes dropped to my leg.

-Is your leg hurt?

-Oh uhm... yeah, I fell on my ankle yesterday.

He looked back up at my face.

-You should get it looked at.

-...I will.

At that moment, it was my turn to grab my plate and put my food on it so I had to avert my gaze. I walked to the table Hina was already sitting at, unable to shake the strange feeling my interaction with Hanma had left me.

-I just had the weirdest talk with Hanma.

-What did he say?

My friend asked me as I sat down next to her.

-He somehow knew that my ankle hurt.

A knowing smile crept across my Hina's face and my brows furrowed.

-What?

-It doesn't really surprise me that he noticed you were walking differently, the dude is always staring at you.

-He stares at everyone.

-Okay but what about all of the ''Looking good, Y/N.''.

Hina mimicked Hanma's deep voice and I chuckled.

-He probably says that to a lot of girls.

-No, he doesn't. Come on, why do you think Mikey hates him so much?

-Because he's part of Valhalla.

-I mean yes, obviously. But that's not the only reason.

I stared at her confusion.

-God, you're really oblivious Y/N! Hanma has a crush on you.

-That's ridiculous.

Sensing a stare on me, I looked up from my plate and scanned the cafeteria until I locked eyes with Hanma. As his lips slowly quirked up, I started re-playing every interaction I had had with the Valhalla member.

And suddenly, Hina's idea didn't seem so crazy anymore.

-----

Over the next few days, I felt like I saw Mikey everywhere I went. At school, on my way home, when I hung out with Hina,... My ex-boyfriend just always seemed to be where I was and something told me it wasn't a coincidence.

It probably had something to do with Rindo because after Mikey saw me with him, he started texting me every day again.

I never made the mistake of walking out of school alone again and always managed to avoid him. But not this Saturday.

I was busy shopping downtown when I got the feeling that I was being followed. I just knew it was Mikey.

Instead of turning around to confront him, I walked faster and swiftly turned into a small alley. I pressed my back against the brick wall, holding my breath as the footsteps got closer. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Mikey walk past. When he didn't stop, I let out a sigh of relief.

I decided to wait a little longer before coming out. In the meanwhile, my eyes wandered around, settling on the wall covered in graffiti in front of me: headless angels.

Shit, I'm in Valhalla territory. I have to get out of here right now.

I walked back towards the main street but a person blocked my way before I could get out of the alley.

-If it isn't Mikey's little wifey!