Part 4 - Chapter 5

At the end of the day, I drag my feet to my locker, mentally preparing myself to spend the next 2 hours in detention. The other students all leave, apart from those involved in school clubs. That includes Mitsuya who's president of the sewing club. He approaches me while I'm rummaging through my locker.

"Hey," he greets as he leans against the locker adjacent to mine, a warm smile on his lips.

I return his smile. "Hey."

One group of girls walks past us in the hallway. I hear them giggle excitedly and I shoot them a curious look over my shoulder. They all have flyers about the school dance in their hands.

"Everyone is going crazy over the school dance, uh?" I comment to Mitsuya as I turn my head back to my locker to retrieve my math book.

"Yeah," Mitsuya agrees.

When I close my locker and turn my head to look at him, he's nervously scratching the back of his neck with one hand.

"Speaking of the dance," he begins tentatively and my heart picks up a pace in anticipation. "I was wondering if..."

Oh my god, he's going to ask me, isn't he?

He seems to hesitate, so I encourage him, my eyes searching his, "Yeah?"

Come on, Mitsuya, ask me !

He inhales and parts his lips, ready to speak, but at that moment, the bell rings.

"Shit," I curse under my breath and give him an apologetic smile. "I have to go to detention. We'll talk later?"

He exhales, his shoulders slumping. "Yeah."

I go to detention and find the supervising teacher already seated at his desk at the front of the class when I walk in. I choose a seat in the middle of the sea of empty desks and immediately open my math book.

I'm really bad at math and tomorrow, I have an algebra test.

I'm so focused I barely register the arrival of a few other students as they take their seats. But when I sense a lingering gaze on me, I lift my eyes from my math book and glance to my left. Ran is seated there, casually leaning back in his seat with his arms draped over the back of his chair and a lopsided grin on his lips.

Sensing another gaze aimed at me, I turn my head to the right and meet Izana's eyes. He's leaning on his desk, resting his cheek against his palm with a subtle smirk as he watches me.

Of course, they had to be in detention at the same time as me. And of course, out of all the vacant desks available, they chose the ones flanking mine.

I redirect my attention to my math book and try to focus again. I retrieve a sheet of paper to try to solve an equation as practice, but whether it's because I'm really bad at math or because I'm painfully aware that both Ran and Izana are still silently watching me, I fail to solve the same equation three times in a row.

Izana snickers quietly on my right. "Wow, you really suck at maths, don't you?"

"Insightful," I whisper back, my teeth gritted.

On the other side of me, Ran leans closer. "We're throwing a party on Friday. You should come," he whispers.

"No, thank you. I already have plans," I reply without sparing him a glance.

"Like what? Watching the same sappy rom-com for the tenth time?" Izana teases, and I roll my eyes.

"Ah, you're a guy who doesn't like romantic comedies. How unique of you, dude," I mock, flicking a quick glance in his direction.