Part 2 - Chapter 35

"What's going on..." My voice trailed off when I finally saw what everybody was staring at.

Kisaki was holding a gun. Izana and Kakucho were laying on the ground next to each other. Each of them had reached out an arm so they could hold hands while blood poured out of their gunshot wounds, two pools of crimson liquid quickly forming under them.

"Oh my god" My head started spinning, and bile rose in my throat.

Next to me, Rindou stood frozen, his gaze glued to his leader and friend. A few meters away, Ran seemed to be in a similar daze as his brother. And Mitsuya-

Where's Mitsuya?

Everything happened so quickly after that. Hanma picked up Kisaki on his motorbike, fleeing the scene. Takemichi and Draken chased after them while Izana called out Mikey's name. My gaze followed my ex as he strode to Izana. He crouched down to listen to what his brother had to say. I didn't hear a thing. Maybe because I was too far away, or maybe because my blood was drumming in my ears.

Feeling the bile creeping up my throat again, I ran out of the crowd, only stopping once I was out of the others' sight. I bent over and vomited. I was panting, cold sweat clinging to my skin as I leaned back up. That's when I noticed that Mitsuya was standing a few meters away, his back to me.

"Mitsuya?"

His body stiffened and his eyes widened when he turned to me, as if I had just caught him doing something he shouldn't be have been doing.

"What are you-" My gaze dropped down to his phone he was holding in his hand. "Did you call an ambulance?" I asked, looking back up at him.

He opened his mouth and closed it, then he walked up to me.

"We have to go." He told me, avoiding my question. He took my hand in his to lead me away from the wharf and towards the crowd of motorbikes.

"Wait." I tried to tug on his hand to slow him down. "What about the others?"

Instead of answering, he picked up his pace. He looked nervous, as if he wanted us to get away from here as soon as possible. Half a minute later, a police car raced past us, driving in direction of the fight scene, and suddenly I understood why Mitsuya was so eager to run away. I ripped myself from his grip, forcing him to jerk to a halt to look at me.

"You didn't call an ambulance." I connected the dots, my head spinning again. "You called the police."

Mitsuya didn't try to deny.

By now, all of the other gang members from Tenjiku and Toman were running to their motorbikes to avoid getting caught by the police, but Mitsuya and I didn't move as they ran past us. We held each other's gazes while I searched answers in his eyes.

"Why?" I asked, my brows furrowing. "Why would you call the police?"

"I couldn't stand it." He breathed out.

"Stand what?"

"You, with them."

"What?" I shook my head, trying to make sense of what he was saying.

Hakkai ran past us at that moment.  "Come on, Mitsuya." He urged his captain to flee like everyone else. 

Mitsuya took a step towards me and reached out to grab my arm, but I backed away. A flicker of hurt crossed his face, but he didn't try to touch me again and slowly turned around before following Hakkai. I breathed hard as I stared at their retreating backs, my feet rooted to the same spot.

Dark clouds loomed above, rolling over the bay. It started drizzling but I barely noticed it; I was still trying to process everything that had happened in the span of a few minutes.