Part 2 - Chapter 11

Okay, look. Yes, I did end up going on the double date with Hanma, Kisaki, and Hina. And no, it wasn't because I particularly wanted to. But after my conversation with Baji, I just felt like I needed to keep a close eye on Kisaki.

The four of us went to a small Italian restaurant where we sat in a corner booth, Hanma and I on one side, Kisaki and Hina on the other.

Seeing how close Kisaki and Hina already seemed was worrying me, but luckily Hanma's presence next to me felt reassuring. He was resting his arm across the back of the booth behind me as he eyed the menu. When he spread his legs, his thigh touched mine under the table but none of us moved. But even then, my gaze stayed glued to Hina and Kisaki, my stomach twisting into a knot as I watched them interact.

"Do you like it?" I heard Hanma ask from next to me. 

I tore my eyes away from Kisaki to look at him, finding him staring down at me with a smile.

"What?" I asked, unsure of what he was talking about.

"The restaurant." He clarified. "Do you like it?"

"Oh. Yeah, it's really nice. Did you choose it?"

"Yeah. I thought you might miss eating Italian food since you left Rome."

My stomach fluttered. "Waw... that's very thoughtful."

Hanma shrugged, his smile widening as he looked back down at the menu. "I can be thoughtful when I want to."

You know what? Maybe I had misjudged Hanma. But no matter how much I wanted to enjoy my time with him, I couldn't help but look at Kisaki and Hina again.

"So, Kisaki." I started, making the blonde boy look at me. "Hina told me you two used to go to primary school together."

He smiled, flicking an adoring gaze at Hina next to him. "Yeah, we did."

"Did you already like her back then?"

My abrupt question caused Hina's eyebrows to shoot up and Kisaki's smile to falter.

"I did." He replied, forcing another smile on his lips. "But I respected her relationship with Takemichi, of course."

"Hmmm." I kept my face impassive as I took a sip of my drink, but not once did I take my eyes off Kisaki's piercing blue ones. The two of us were now engaged in a staring contest, and I wasn't about to lose against him. 

"So let me ask you something." I started again, setting my glass back onto the table. "You joined Toman but your best friend here," I glanced at Hanma. "is in Valhalla. Isn't that going to be a problem during the fight tomorrow?"

Kisaki's jaw ticked but he masked whatever underlying emotion he was feeling with a soft chuckle. "Did Mikey send you to interrogate me or something?"

"What if he did?" I replied without missing a beat.

That wiped the smile off his face for good. We stared at each other for a few seconds longer before Hina cleared her throat, making us both avert our gazes to look at her. 

She gave us an awkward smile. "Sorry, I have to go to the bathroom. I'll be right back." She stood up and headed towards the bathroom at the back of the restaurant. 

And as if Fate wanted me and Kisaki to be alone, Hanma's phone rang at that moment. He pulled it out of his pocket, checked the screen, then looked back up at me and Kisaki. "I gotta take this, I'll be back." He stood up and walked out of the restaurant to take the call.

And here we were. Me and Kisaki. Finally alone.

He smirked. "You don't like me, do you?"

"You're right, I don't." I replied blankly.

"And why is that?"

"I feel like you're hiding something." I leaned my elbows on the table, and rested my chin on my clasped hands, my gaze narrowing at the edges. " I don't know what it is yet. But when I do find out, I'll tell Hina about it."

In a split second, his smirk had vanished, his jaw clenching. 

"You know who you remind me of?" He imitated me, leaning his elbows on the table and resting his chin on his clasped hands. "Takemichi and Baji." He curled his lip in disgust as if saying their names had left a foul taste in his mouth. "And I fucking hate Takemichi and Baji." He brought his face a little closer to mine, his eyes narrowing. "Or anyone who gets in the way of things I want."

The next few seconds that followed were the longest of my life. I forced myself to return his gaze and not back away, but my heartbeat was beating so fast in my chest that I thought I might pass out.

"Look, it's simple." He finally spoke again, leaning back in his seat. "You and I both want the same thing: for Hina to be happy. So if I were you, I'd try to get on my good side."

His tone sent cold shivers running down my spine, but I didn't let it show on my face and instead, I imitated him, leaning back in my seat and crossing my arms over my chest. "Is that a threat?"

"No, no, no..." He chuckled under his breath, shaking his head. His blue eyes met mine again. "Let's just say you're really lucky Hanma won't let me do anything to you."

Was that meant to soothe my fears?

Fucking psycho-

My eyes darted to the front door of the restaurant when Hanma walked back inside. His focus was on me as he strode back to our table. He winked at me and gave me one devilishly handsome grins of his.

I couldn't believe that he was the one I owed my safety to. Him, someone who meant danger to so many other people.

But god, I was grateful.