Part 4 - Chapter 13

"You can't leave me, Y/N! Please! Don't leave me. Don't leave us."  The desperate voice echoes in my mind as I wake up with a start.

Damn it. I had that same nightmare again. It must be the fifth time I've had it now.

Next to me, Rindou is still  asleep. I fix my gaze on his peaceful face, taking a moment to steady my racing heart after my nightmare.

I close my eyes and fall back asleep, and this time, my dreams take a different turn.

I'm standing in my garden. The view in front of me is bathed in the warm hue of a sunset. Two children are chasing each other, their laughter filling the air. From behind, someone wraps their arms around me, their chin resting against the top of my head. I glance down at our intertwined hands and notice matching rings. Wedding rings.

I feel good. At peace.

The sensation of a hand delicately brushing a strand of hair away from my face wakes me up, and I slowly open my eyes. Rindou is gazing at me with me with a soft smile. The early morning sunlight is filtering through the blinds, caressing the side of his face.

"Hey," he breathes out.

I smile at him. "Hey."

"Come here," he says, gesturing for me to come closer, and I shift on the bed, slipping into his open arms. My face nestles against his neck as he pulls me against him, and he strokes the back of my head with his hand.

I'm not sure why, but I start to think about something he mentioned yesterday. About money being tight for him and Ran. Worry gnaws at my stomach.

"Rin?" I murmur his name against his neck, and he responds with a soft hum. "Yesterday, you said something about money being tight for you and Ran and..." I pause, gathering my words, but before I can continue, he gently pulls away, meeting my gaze with a reassuring smile.

"You don't need to worry about us. We'll figure things out. Also," He pauses, his smile broadening. "I like it when you call me Rin."

I can see he's trying to ease my worries with his smile, and I hate to admit that, for a brief moment, it works. But deep down, my concerns linger.

--------------------------------------------------

This Saturday afternoon, I'm meeting with Mikey to work on our group project. He told me to meet him at the gym. Following the address he gave me, I arrive in front of a brick building and push the door open. Inside, a boxing ring occupies the center of the room, and Mikey is engaged in a match with a man almost twice his size. A few other people are watching the fight - men, mostly.

The sound of the door falling shut behind me steals Mikey's attention, and his head turns in my direction. When he sees me, his face breaks into a wide grin, his eyes crinkling with joy.

"Hi!" he greets me, but his opponent interrupts. "Hey! We're not done, man!" he growls, launching another punch.

I gasp silently, my hand flying to my mouth as I witness the impact of the blow, blood spurting from Mikey's nose. However, in the blink of an eye, Mikey is standing tall again and retaliating with a powerful punch that sends his opponent crashing to the floor. 

A few men rush over to the ring to check on him while Mikey casually slips beneath the ropes surrounding the ring, taking off his boxing gloves as he approaches me. He stops before me, panting, but still wearing a wide grin.

"Hey," he manages to say between breaths.

Concern fills my stomach as I look at the blood still trickling from his nose.