Part 4 - Chapter 4

I'm lying in a bed.

The harsh lights above me glare down, casting an uncomfortable brightness. 

I hear a baby's cries.

On my left, a man is caressing my face. His touch feels somewhat familiar, yet it eludes my memory. 

To my right, another man holds my hand tightly, showering it with kisses while he pleads, "You can't leave me, YN. Please. Don't leave me. Don't leave us."

Those broken pleas echo in my mind as I abruptly awaken, my forehead drenched in sweat. Daylight is already seeping through the slats of my window blinds. I steal a glance at my alarm clock, my heart still racing within my chest.

8:10 am.

"Shit, shit, shit!"

School starts at 8:30 am. I'm so late.

I hastily scramble out of bed and dash into the shower. Ten minutes later, I sprint down the stairs, my schoolbag slung over my back. Since I don't have time for breakfast, I just make a quick stop by the kitchen to snatch a carton of chocolate milk.

Mitsuya isn't waiting for me today. He mentioned yesterday that he needed to walk his sisters to school this morning. 

I struggle to drink as I sprint, and I quickly glance at the time on my phone.

8:28 am.

Desperately, I increase my pace, but by the time I reach the school gates, it's already 8:32 am, and they are firmly shut.

"Noooo," I whine dramatically, dropping my schoolbag to the ground and gasping for breath.

It's only my second day at this school, and I've already managed to get sent to the principal's office, get two hours of detention, and arrive late for class.

"There's another way in," a voice says from behind, and I turn around, still panting from the run to school.

Rindou Haitani stands there, his hands nonchalantly tucked in his pants pockets, his schoolbag casually slung over his shoulder. 

"Oh, really?" I respond, hopeful for a solution.

He nods and silently signals for me to follow him before starting to walk. I quickly pick up my schoolbag and catch up, walking beside him with my carton of milk still in hand.

Something about Rindou's quiet assurance makes me nervous, and inevitably, I begin to ramble as my nerves take over. "Usually, I'm always on time, you know. But this morning, I had this weird nightmare, and I slept through my alarm. I mean, the nightmare was so strange, and it felt so real and--" He turns his head to look at me, silently listening to my ramblings, and I stop myself. "Sorry, I'm rambling, aren't I?" I chuckle nervously. "You know, I called someone an asshole yesterday for telling me I speak too much. I'm starting to think he was right."

"I don't mind," he replies quietly and redirects his gaze ahead, his lips now holding a faint, amused smile. My heart races at the sight of his profile.

After a short distance, Rindou halts, his gaze fixed on the corner of the school wall. A small section of the wall appears lower than the rest. When I realize that his plan is for us to climb over it, panic grips me.

"I don't think I can—"

Without a word, he drops to one knee, interlocking his fingers to offer me a foothold. I gaze down at him, lips slightly parted in surprise. Swallowing, I throw my unfinished carton of milk in the nearast bin. I hesitantly place my right foot on Rindou's hands, and he lifts me gently, allowing me to grab the top of the wall with both hands.