Part 3 - Chapter 19

Kokonoi and I were in the living room. He was working on his computer while I took a nap on the sofa that faced the one he was sitting on.

When the front door opened and slammed shut several seconds later, I awoke with a jerk and sat up.

"They're back." Kokonoi announced without taking his gaze off his screen.

Indeed, Sanzu and the Haitanis entered the living room shortly after. They had been gone since this morning and, although my day had been pretty busy so far with my cooking for Mikey and my visit with Kakucho to the cemetery, I had missed them.

Well, not the three of them. Just the Haitanis.

Okay, one of the Haitanis in particular.

"How did it go?" Kokonoi enquired, flicking a quick gaze at the three Bonten members as they strolled into the room.

"We dealt with him." Rindou replied, sighing.

My stomach fluttered as my wandering eyes followed Rindou's moves. Like Sanzu and his brother, he was wearing his usual three-pieces suit. He took off his suit jacket and tossed it onto the nearest chair before rolling his sleeves up his forearms.

I hadn't even realized my mouth was hanging slightly open while I watched Rindou until Kokonoi cast a glance at me. One of his eyebrows was raised and a smirk was tugging at his lips. He looked like he was asking me 'just friends, huh?', mocking my statement from this morning.

But yes, 'just friends'. That's what Rindou and I would need to be if I didn't want him to become Mikey's next victim. I had to keep my distance.

As Rindou, his brother and Sanzu approached, I quickly grabbed a book that laid on the coffee table and opened it to a random page, pretending I had been reading before their arrival.

"Dorayaki!" Ran exclaimed when he caught sight of a plate of Dorayakis laying on the coffee table.

I had made too much food for Mikey alone so I had decided to offer the other Dorayakis to whoever was willing to take the risk to try my cooking.

Ran grinned as he bent down to pick up one of the red beans pancakes.

He looked at me. "You made those?"

I nodded in response.

Ran was still smiling when he took a first bite, but the more he chewed, the more his lips seemed to be frowning. He stopped chewing and swallowed.

"They're..." He hesitated, glancing down at the Dorayaki in his hand. The next second, he was bursting out laughing. "Fuck, they're awful! "

I scowled. Those Dorayakis had taken me an hour to make and they had still turned out disgusting. Maybe it was a good thing Mikey hadn't been willing to eat them this morning...

Rindou slapped the back of his brother's head as he moved past him.

"Shut up, Ran." He warned.

"Sorry, sorry." The older Haitani raised his hands but he was still laughing as he sat down next to Kokonoi.

Rindou loosened his tie with one hand as he sat down next to me. I made the conscious effort to keep my eyes on my book despite how much I yearned to return Rindou's gaze. I could feel his eyes travel over my side profile as he greeted me.

"Hey."

"Hey." I replied, dragging my eyes across the page to pretend I was reading.

However, pretending became nearly impossible when Rindou reached a hand to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. His fingers grazed my cheekbone, my earlobe, the side of my neck, and then his hand curled around the back of my neck, his thumb stroking my nape.