Fire and Vice

The Northern edge of the Forbidden Forest was covered in snow. She supposed for the last week of October, it wasn't that strange-but she wasn't dressed for it. Adelaide shivered beside Sebastian, wondering if there was a spell to warm her up.

Poppy was dressed for the snow, but she was seen rubbing her hands together. She smiled brightly as they came into view, but a wary look flashed across her face at the sight of Sebastian.

"Poppy!" Adelaide greeted cheerfully, "Highwing's fine. I''m keeping an eye on her. She's safe, I promise."

The Hufflepuff smiled, "Good. Whatever the poachers are up to, I want Highwing far from it." She nodded towards the aloof boy next to her, "Sebastian."

"Sweeting." Sebastian acknowledged, distantly.

Adelaide piped up, "You said you had news-something you'd like to discuss with me."

"I did!" Poppy's voice grew panicked, "I overheard them talking in the Hog's Head and did you know that they have orders from Victor Rookwood to capture you on sight?" Sebastian stiffened, his eyes darkening. Poppy looked curiously at him before continuing, "Does this have anything to do with Rookwood and Harlow coming for you in the Three Broomsticks after the troll attack?"

A grimace plastered across her face. How many people knew about this? "It does." Adelaide admitted begrudgingly, "But, at the moment, I'm more concerned about what else you heard the poachers are up to."

"Fair enough. But I hope you'll let me know if I can be of help. Especially after what you did for Highwing." Poppy offered, her voice hopeful. "Does the name 'Horntail Hall' mean anything to either of you?"

Sebastian shook his head, "Not particularly."

"I'm afraid not. Why? What is it?"

"The poachers best kept secret apparently." Poppy sighed, defeated. "The name came up twice, but they never went into detail." She perked up as she remembered, "I also overheard one of them bragging about all the gold they're making. At the expense of innocent creatures, undoubtedly. The poachers spoke of this area and I thought if we searched around a bit, it might give us clues to what they're doing." She paused. "If you ever meet my Gran, this trip never happened."

Adelaide grinned, "Not to worry, Poppy. If I ever meet your Gran, I shall not speak a word of this."

Poppy looked over at Sebastian who raised an eyebrow, "You'll have to buy my silence."

Adelaide nudged him, "He won't say anything either."

Sebastian leaned down next to her ear, sending a shiver down her spine as he whispered, "You can pay me in other ways, darling."

"I don't want to know what he said." Poppy said quickly, eyeing her red cheeks. "I normally tell my Gran everything. She might be my best friend after Highwing, but she knows how I feel about poachers. I think she worries I'll do something ill-advised."

Adelaide tilted her head, "Whatever gave her that idea?"

Poppy only smiled, a bit uncomfortable at the question, "Let's start searching. This way."

They walked along a dirt, frozen path making sure to keep quiet. None of them were sure how many-if any-poachers were wandering about. What Adelaide didn't expect was a half human half horse figure standing over a ledge they were about to walk under.

"A Centaur!" Poppy hissed, "Tread carefully."

One of them brandished a bow and arrow, more flocking towards them. "An entire Castle to roam, yet you choose to wander here."