The Relic

They gazed around in the new room. Spiderwebs were everywhere. Which meant soon enough, her eight legged acquaintances would be making an appearance.

"Before we trudge on further...The note mentioned the students would be learning the Imperius Curse."

Adelaide raised an eyebrow, "Your point, Mr. Sallow?"

"I think you should learn the Unforgivable Curses."

"What? Here? Now?" She sent him an incredulous look. He faced her with a somber expression. He was being serious, she realized. Adelaide pinched the bridge of her nose, "Sebastian, why would I learn those spells? I have my magic."

"I know. But what if there comes a time when you aren't able to wield it-I know it drains a lot of vitality from you-but what if it's a live or die situation? Ominis and I aren't always with you. We can't be with you during the trials."

She wasn't convinced, "The Keepers are training me to use magic without the necessity of the Unforgivables. Sebastian, Hogwarts Professors aren't going to put me through trials where I would need those spells."

"You've almost died, Adelaide from those trials." He snapped, "What's the harm in learning them?"

She wavered.

And he saw it.

He sighed, stepping closer to her. "I genuinely don't understand why you and Ominis are so against learning about the Dark Arts. It's not as if we're using it on Muggles for sport like the Gaunt household."

"If we learn those spells, then we have the opportunity to use them." Adelaide spoke slowly, "I don't want to be in a position where I have to rely on a forbidden spell to live."

"So you'd rather die?" She shivered at the pain in his voice. "Will you at least learn? For me?"

The auburn witch relented. Sebastian taught her Crucio and Imperio and part of her felt guilty. How would she explain to Ominis that she knew these spells now? She was saved from wondering as her acquaintances finally appeared. Three Venomous Shooters crawled in through the doorway, surrounding them in a triangular fashion.

"Bombarda." Sebastian shouted, and used Depulso to throw the spiders into the fiery explosion.

Adelaide used her magic to make the fire grow in a controlled spot, burning the spiders to death. Once they went through the next doorway, both of the Slytherins spotted a familiar archway.

"Another barricade?" She mumbled to herself. Sebastian didn't hesitate, casting Wingardium Leviosa and making the next door crumble.

He stepped in first, regarding the room that was in shambles. "I see why Slytherin's student was so entranced with this place."

Whether it was sarcasm or not, she didn't have the time to ask. The largest purplish-red spider was inside the room, surrounded by a swarm of hatchlings.

"I'm so sick of spiders." She growled out, yelling "Incendio."

"Incendio."

Sebastian joined her and they watched as the hatchlings died off quickly, but the Venomous Matriarch was still alive and scampering towards them. Adelaide called out her ancient magic, watching as it overpowered the spider and reduced it to nothing more than a spider the size of a galleon. Adelaide stepped on it with disgusted satisfaction.

They ran towards a table at the end of the far room. There were a couple vases, but it just looked like trash was scattered about. Sebastian's face fell. "Dead end. Lovely. All that for nothing."