chapter 47: Cries from the icey woods

Me, my daughter, mercury, and Jupiter were assigned to deal with the sudden snowed in village and woods in the outskirts. I knew the fog would reach my village soon, due to it reaching this far out from the center, so i completely understand the urgency of the situation.

The forest was covered in a blanket of white, fluffy snow, that crunched under our feet. Due to the gilded cloak, which took the form of samurai-esque armor, i felt warm and was comfortable. The senshi however, the poor things, were shivering. Didn't help that they were in short skirts and no leggings even.

"Aren't y'all cold?" I asked them.

"Yes, this isn't normal weather! Something induced by magical means!" Said mercury.

"Wait...so if it was normal, you'd all be warmer?" I asked, questioning the logic.

"Well.....huh, i never thought about that...." jupiter said.

"When it's natural weather, our sailor fukus emit an aura-like barrier to shield us from extreme temperatures. When its magically based, however, it has no effect. Something or someone, is causing this!" Mercury said.

"Well, no shit sherlock. That's why we are here!" Said katsumi.

I would smack Kat across the rear with the sheathe of my blade, to which she yelped in pain.

"What'd i do?!" She cried, rubbing her rear.

"You were very rude and i did not raise you that way." I said, sternly.

She whimpered a bit.

My ears flicked upright towards something i heard and smelled, all at once. I rose my hand to signal the others to be on alert, to which they immediately got ready for anything coming our way.

The blizzard was ferocious, blinding my sight and dampening my senses greatly, but i picked up a scent, nonetheless, amidst the ice and precipitation. The wind howled loudly, like a roaring lion, but the distinct sounds of crunching snow came our way.

Before too long, we seen a small figure approaching us. As it got closer, it's features became known. It was a little girl, no older than twelve or maybe thirteen. She had light blue, short hair, that was tied in the back with a small ponytail, with a hair tie with two large beads. She was small and wore a pink and yellow kimono without any designs or patterns, a plain kimono. Her shoes weren't very visible, but i could tell that they were traditional sandals that were worn with kimonos. I cannot remember what they were called, due to inarian footwear being different.

"What are y'all doing out here?? The ice witch will get you!" She said in a panicked tone, looking around.

"What are you doing way out here little one?" I said, still keeping my guard up.

"A mean ice witch froze my village and killed my momma and papa. She roams these woods trying to catch me and turn me into a block of ice!" She said, with tears rolling from her eyes.

The mother came out in me and i lowered my guard.

"We'll take care of the ice witch, dear. There's no need to be scared." I said to her.

"Mom, she could be a demon general! We can't trust her!" Katsumi said.

"I dunno....she sounds very genuine kat...." said jupiter.

"I agree, she's scared to death of this ice witch that's chasing her." Said mercury.

"I'm still not buying it, but whatever..." kat said, with a pouty tone.

"Come! We have to go to my house! I have warm clothes for you and uhm...soup! But, no fire...sorry...." the girl said with a chuckle.

"Alright, what is your name, dear?" I asked.

"Hikaru! Hikaru Hishimono!" She said cheerfully.

"What a pretty name! Go ahead, show us the way!" I said, cheerfully.

"Mom!" Said kat.

I looked at jupiter and mercury shivering, then looked at katsumi. She then threw her hands up in defeat with a groan.

I'd then look at Hikaru, to which she smiled and lead the way.

After a while of walking in the snowy woods, we came across a house that was run down to be honest. It was dirty and unkept with visible damage to the exterior, showing peeled paint and stained with dirt. The roof didn't fair too well either, with a visible hole in the top of it and sunken in areas, as if more holes were to form. The windows weren't existant at all, with nealry all of them either shatttered or had fallen out.

However the most bizarre thing about it is.....she spoke of a village earlier, but this is the only house that would belong in a village as far as the eye could see. No ruins, no planks, no artifacts to even indicate that a village was here at all. Its as if this house was swiped from a completely different time period and planted here, in the most wooded area of Japan where no village is established.

All in all, at least it'll keep us out of the wind....

She would slide open the front door and usher us inside.

Traditionally, one would take off ones shoes before entering, but....these floors look hazardous.

"No need to take off your shoes. These floors are old and might hurt your feet." Said Hikaru with a nervous chuckle.

We all nodded and proceeded inward.

The break from the wind made a huge difference in temperature. It was drastically warmer within the house.

She shown us a clean area to sit, to which we did as she ran off into another room to fetch something for us.

The table was raggedy, and broken, just like the rest of the household.

She would then return with some clothes, that were torn and old.

"Sorry, they're only good for covering up in." Hikaru said with a nervous chuckle.

"Its the thought that counts, sweetheart!" I said with a smile.

The two senshi would immediately bundle up and shivered.

"T-t-thank you!" They said.

"No problem! Can i get you some tea?" She asked.

"Cold brew tea, in the cold?" Kat said with a snark attitude.

"Be a gracious guest katsumi! Overlook her rudeness, yes, i would like a cup!" I said with a smile.

She smiled and giggled as she went to what i assume to be the kitchen.

"Mom, something doesn't feel right! She's hiding something, i swear!" Kat protested.

"She's just a little girl, trying her little hardest to be a good host. Now mind your manners! You're never too old for a good swatting on the rear, pup." I said sternly.

She crossed her arms and pouted.

I agree that there's something up with the girl and something doesn't feel right. But i feel like the girl herself is a victim of circumstance, rather than her being a demon general.

Surely that sweet little girl is not one of the enemy we have to fight......or is my vision clouded by my motherly instincts?