chapter 48: a pained outcry in the blizzard

As we finally got comfortable and warm, the room was quiet.

Katsumi was giving Hikaru the stink eye, which made her nervous.

The two senshi, jupiter and mercury, were darting their gazes between me, kat, and the girl.

As for me, i was deep in thought about the whole witch thing and the climate here, and why it's just isolated to these woods and these woods only. I knew it's magic related, and no doubt Pandora's doing, but why this particular area?

Suddenly, Hikaru stared outside, scared stiff and shaking.

"the.....the.....THE WITCH!! AAAAAH!!" she screamed and pointed.

We all immediately jumped to our feet and looked out the window to see a silhouette of a person, hunched over outside as if it wasn't human and looking at us. Could this be the general?

Hikaru screamed and cried as she ran into another room.

We would jump into action and ran outside to confront the figure.

"State your name, witch!" I said, with my sword drawn.

Nothing.

"We said, state your name!! Talk!!" Katsumi said.

No response.

"I can tell that this thing is sinister and evil! Sparkling wide pressure!!" Jupiter cried as she casted lightning at the figure.

Upon striking it, it didn't make a sound, just crumbled to chunks.

"Geez Mako, i think ya got it...." kat said, stunned.

"Yeah, i did...." said mako, equally stunned.

We all exchanged glances, bewildered at the turn of events.

It didn't put up a fight or anything....just stood there.

I gestured for everyone to stay where they were and walked forward to investigate. As i got closer, I would notice the "chunks" of the "enemy" was shiny and reflective. When i got close enough, it was clear what it was. An ice statue of a witch, like one from folklore.

"An ice....statue?" I said, still confused.

"The brat freaked out over an ice statue....ha!....the brat...made us go out of our way....to attack an ice statue!!" Kat said angrily as she kicked the head of the statue as hard as she could, making it shatter against a nearby tree.

".....something doesn't feel right about it though. We seen this same one earlier near the entrance of the woods. Surely its not the same one from back there. We would have seen it further away.." mercury pointed out.

"Which means, either someone can conjure these statues to terrorize this poor little girl, or the statue is sentient and moves or reforms itself somewhere else." Jupiter said.

"Or the brat is the witch herself and she's toying with us!!" Katsumi growled.

"I swear katsumi, if you do anything to that little girl-" before i could finish, katsumi stormed off to the cabin.

"Oh no!" Mercury cried as she went after her.

"Geez, kat!" Said jupiter, following suit.

I would follow as well.

When we got close, we heard the child scream, which made us hurry faster.

"Ow! You're hurting me!!" Cried Hikaru as katsumi held her up in the air by the arm.

"She's icey to the touch!!" Kat growled.

"I said you're hurting me!!" Hikaru shouted as she suddenly blasted kat with a burst of snow, which made her drop her.

The girl would look at her hands in shock, but soon enough, her focus was immediately on katsumi, who was drawing her swords, with bloodlust in her eyes. Mercury and Jupiter would look in her direction and i could feel that they were about to attack, so i zipped past them and tackled my daughter to the floor.

"ACK!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" she growled as she kicked and squirmed.

"SHE'S JUST A CHILD!! SHE DOESN'T KNOW SHE CAN DO THIS STUFF!!" I growled back.

I could see her eyes slowly turn red, she was entering stage one of the feral state. I immediately took her into my arms to try to calm her down before she became too far into the state.

Behind me, i heard hikaru speaking to herself.

"I.....can use....ice?.....this is all....me?....wait......that means that i....iiii.......AWAUAAAAAAAGGGGGH!!!!" Hikaru cried to the top of her lungs.

We were all then, sent flying outside as the house practically exploded into pieces and the blizzard intensified from her.

Jupiter grabbed a tree, then grabbed mercury, she then grabbed by hand as i held onto katsumi. I looked back at her and she was now calmed down, but startled by the turn of events.

The woods was filled with an ice storm and the cries of a child that learned the awful truth. That she was the one that destroyed her own home and her family. The poor thing....

"I told you mom!! Shes dangerous!!" Kat said.

"I know she was responsible for it all kat!! I was wanting to treat her as any other child deserves to be treated!! Shes an orphan and is all alone!!" I screamed at my daughter.

She winced and her ears went down.

"She's scared, afraid, heartbroken!! No child should go through what she's going through!!" I shouted as i drew my sword and stabbed it in the ground.

I passed katsumi to Mercury and began to trudge forward, using my sword as a meants of keeping my footing.

"Mom!!" Kat cried.

"Its too dangerous!!" Said jupiter.

"She's right!! You'll freeze into a block of ice!!" Said Mercury.

"That's fine.....but that baby girl needs to know that she's not evil and isn't responsible for her parent's death, it was all an accident!!" I said as i made my way closer.

Her cries of pain and sorrow filled the air as i got closer, as well as the ruthless temperature drop. I felt my nerves slowly go numb and the icey winds cutting straight through me.

When my pup would be upset, my singing of their favorite lullaby would calm her down.

"My sweet pups please don't cry
Mother's going to sing
You a lullaby."

"Sweet sweet child, do not fret
Come to my arms
Rest and forget."

"My sweet children, mom loves you so
Through sun shine, rain
Or blistering snow."

"Mother dearest, loves you soooo."

As i sang these lyrics over and over, Hikaru would slowly calm down, as did the blizzard. I got close enough to hold her close and pet her head.

"Shhhh....everything will be alright baby girl....none of it was your fault sweet pea....you just didn't know any better is all." I said, with a sweet, gentle tone.

"E-even so....i-im still alone...." she whimpered.

"Come live with me in my village. We have the technology to regulate your powers and bodily temperatures." I suggested.

"You mean....you'll be my new mommy?" She asked.

"Yes dear....yes.......ye....yes.....d....dear...." i would then black out....