Chapter 8: Shadows of the Past

The community park was alive with the vibrant spirit of Diwali, and the four of them were wholeheartedly immersed in the festivities. Children ran around, their laughter echoing as they indulged in various activities that symbolized the epic tale of Lord Ram. Liam, with an adventurous spirit, tried his hand at bow and arrow, envisioning himself as the valiant prince.

As the children played, Seher stumbled upon a stall offering block mehendi. Her curiosity got the best of her, and she decided to adorn her hands with the intricate designs. Liam, ever inquisitive, couldn't help but ask questions.

"What's this on your hand, Belle?" Liam inquired, his eyes wide with curiosity. Seher, sporting a warm smile, replied, "It's called mehendi, Liam. It's like a special sticker for the skin."

Liam's curiosity piqued further, and he pressed on, "But why do you have it?" Seher, patiently explaining to the young boy, said, "People put it on during Diwali to make their hands look pretty. It's a tradition."

Liam found the answer satisfactory and insisted on getting some block mehendi himself. Meher, fascinated by Liam's enthusiasm, joined in, their little hands now adorned with the beautiful designs.

Amidst their playful exploration, a couple in their late 50s, Rakesh and Poonam Mehra, who held esteemed positions as presidents of the local Indian community, approached Daniel with a hint of confusion. They had never seen the CEO at any of their community gatherings before.

Daniel greeted them warmly, introducing Seher as Liam's nanny, and they exchanged pleasantries. Seher also introduced them to Meher, who they doted on with affectionate smiles.

Mrs. Mehra, her eyes filled with admiration, complimented their matching outfits. In response, Daniel proudly mentioned that Seher had crafted them herself, which left the couple pleasantly surprised.

After some delightful conversation, Mrs. Mehra, brimming with enthusiasm, whisked Seher away to meet more people. Seher thoroughly enjoyed connecting with the diverse community members, conversing in Punjabi with some from her own Punjab, which filled her with a deep sense of nostalgia and belonging.

As the evening progressed, they savored a variety of Indian delicacies like tikki, samosa, dhokla, masala idli, chole kulche, and moong dal halwa. Each dish was prepared with love by different Indian families, contributing to the communal potluck.

"Liam, you must try this samosa! It's yummy," Seher encouraged, offering him a delightful bite with tamarind chutney, and Liam hummed in delight.

Liam, his curiosity ever-present, asked, "Belle, what's dhoka?"

Seher explained with laughter, "It's Dhokla, and it is a spongy snack. Try it! It is sweet and tangy!"

Mrs. Mehra could not help herself looking at the adorable children and approached them with a smile, "And this is moongdal halwa, a sweet dish made from lentils. It's a Diwali favorite! Try this too baccho (kids)!" and added a spoonful to their plates, and the kids loved it.

Seher promised to contribute something special for the next potluck, and Mrs. Mehra promptly took her phone number and added her to the WhatsApp group for the community.

As the clock struck 8 at night, they decided it was time to wrap up their day of festivities. The children, exhausted from all the excitement, were almost asleep in Daniel's arms, well past their bedtime. They returned home, gently changed the kids into their pajamas, and tucked them into bed with sweet dreams.

Afterward, they came downstairs, having changed into comfortable clothes, ready to unwind and reflect on their wonderful day.

The serene atmosphere enveloped them, a stark contrast to the tumultuous thoughts swirling within Daniel's mind. His contemplations had returned to the feelings he held for Seher before the festivities began, his emotions bubbling just beneath the surface. However, there was an unsettling undercurrent that nagged at him—a persistent uncertainty about Meher's father. The fact that Meher didn't share Seher's resemblance had ignited his curiosity about this mysterious man. In his mind's eye, he visualized him as an Indian, perhaps with deep green eyes and a head of raven-black hair. The mere thought stirred a trace of jealousy within him, as Meher stood as a living reminder of Seher's enigmatic past, a past shrouded in mystery.