Chapter 83: Designs of Affection

On the auspicious day of Diwali, which also happened to fall on a Friday, Seher bustled around like a headless chicken, making preparations for the party. The cafe was closed to the general public for the day. Richard engrossed in a week-long study of Indian decorations, skillfully adorned the cafe with marigold and rose garlands, doing an impressive job. Meanwhile, Elaine indulged in self-admiration, trying on her outfit for the evening - a Gujarati saree borrowed from Rachel's wedding collection.

This celebration was supposed to be not only a happy occasion for Seher as the first time, as a chef but also as a strategic move planned by Richard because today's party was going to be an invite-only, Diwali celebration. He had told Seher to invite a few of the select customers who had been regulars at the cafe for the past few months as a thank-you for being loyal customers. This would not only strengthen the cafe's ties with the existing customers but also attract new as to because honoring your existing customers was new in this industry.

So, with Richard's smart business skills, this party had been planned where Seher had already designed the whole buffet, She and Miles had cooked up a storm the previous day and all the items for the buffet were ready sans the final tempering and it was going to be an array of activities that was going to occur. A sort of Indian fest had been set up where Seher had also contacted the guy who had served them gol gappas during her and Maximilian's date to be a part as well as various other people such as a mehndi artist, a phulkari scarf vendor from the local Indian market and she had also set up a short 30-minute screening of the Ramayana to illustrate as to why Diwali is celebrated to make it interesting for people which was an excellent suggestion by Robert.

Seher was bubbling with excitement, especially at the thought of introducing Maximilian to what she considered her family. She eagerly anticipated his official meeting with Richard, Elaine, Sienna, and Robert. While the nature of their relationship lacked a specific label, Seher felt a positive connection with Maximilian. The bonus of inviting Victor heightened her enthusiasm. Amidst her bustling preparations, directing Miles to complete tasks in the kitchen and assisting Elaine with her saree, Seher found herself stopped by Sienna. Sienna, captivated by Elaine's look, expressed a desire to switch her outfit for another saree. Seher engrossed in perfecting Sienna's pleats on the vibrant blue saree that beautifully contrasted with her blonde hair, was interrupted by a call on her phone. Excusing herself, she retrieved her phone from her pocket, revealing Maximilian's incoming call, a sight that brought a smile to her face, noticed by Sienna.

Seher politely excused herself, stepping a few paces aside to answer Maximilian's call. His voice greeted her with, "Hi, baby. I know you're very, very busy." Blushing at his endearment, Seher replied, "Yes, I am a little busy, but that's okay. I always have time to talk to you." Maximilian, appreciating her kindness, smiled, "Well, I won't take much of your time. I just wanted to ask you something." Seher assured him as Maximilian continued, "I know you've invited Victor, and even though I really don't want him to come, the brat is apparently already getting ready for the party. But his assistant, Beatrice, is a family friend. I'll share all the particulars later, but she has shown interest in experiencing various cultures. She's not very close with her family, and since Thanksgiving is next week, she won't be celebrating with them. Your festivals are very colorful, so would it be okay if I invited her to come along with Victor? Because even though she doesn't tell me, I can sense that she misses her family."

Seher smiled warmly, "Maximilian." She sighed gently and continued, "You constantly surprise me with your depth. It's a pleasure getting to know the many aspects of you." She shook her head in admiration and added, "You don't need to ask - bring her along. I'd love to welcome her here. Anyone important to you is important to me, and I'm eager to meet her." Maximilian expressed his gratitude, "Thank you so much, malyshka."