Chapter 54: Grey Love

The room fell silent as Daniel fought with a whirlwind of emotions-betrayal, anger, and hurt. Each revelation shook him to the core, leaving a trail of questions that demanded answers. His gaze fixed on Seher as he sought clarity, "When did you come to know, and how long have you been hiding this from me?"

Tears welled up in Seher's eyes as she admitted, "I've known for about a week and a half, Daniel. I overheard Amelia talking to Rhonda on the evening of my birthday when I went to talk to her." Daniel pressed for more, "Talk to her about what? What decisions were you making?"

"I needed to talk to her, clear a few things," Seher explained. "That day was heavy for me. Elaine had offered me the position of a chef for the cafe the night before, and I hadn't given her an answer. But that morning, I knew I couldn't stay there any longer, and the contract was ending in two weeks. Overhearing Amelia talking to Rhonda, I needed assurance that she wouldn't separate Liam and Meher, that they could remain friends. The bond between these two children means a lot to me."

Daniel closed his eyes, bracing for the response to his next question. Without making direct eye contact, he asked, "Seher, just tell me, did you tell Amelia that you wouldn't reveal her betrayal if she allowed Liam and Meher to be friends?" The weight of his inquiry lingered in the air.

Daniel, avoiding direct eye contact, awaited Seher's response. She let out a sad smile and clarified, "Are you asking me if I blackmailed Amelia into letting our children be friends in return for keeping her secret?" Daniel nodded again, looking around for a moment. Seher continued, "No, I did not, Daniel. I am not that person. Even before I requested her for the favor that I wanted, I made it clear that I would not tell you, and I never would have." "But why?" Daniel questioned, "Don't you think what she did was wrong?" The complexity of emotions hung heavily in the room.

"Of course I do," exclaimed Seher, continuing, "I know what she did was wrong on so many levels. If you ask me, she was wrong when she went away without telling you and when she did not contact you or her son. She was wrong when she kept tabs on you using a maid. And I don't even know the whole story, Daniel. I know what she did was wrong, and I told her to her face. But at the same time... Daniel, without wanting to, somehow I had become a part of this marriage, and I didn't want to. And me telling you this would have been a clear indication that I wanted you for myself, which I did not."

Seher then raised a thought, "And you ask yourself this; would you have believed me? All I overheard was a conversation with Rhonda, who does not like me very much. And the fact that you and I were building something. Anyone who was not me would have thought that I was doing it out of jealousy. Just imagine a conversation where I would have come to tell you that, Daniel, the story in which your wife says that she was assaulted and tortured is false. Can you fathom your reaction? When she faked the headaches, you shouted, roared on the children, Daniel. That is how much you lose control when it comes to Amelia. You wouldn't have believed me."

She then remarked, "And frankly, another reason, though my opinion may not count, is that I can see your wife, Daniel, not Mrs. Mitchell-the woman who returned from the hospital, whom I first met. Since I have learned her secret, I have known Amelia. And she is a very nice person and is genuinely in love with you. You are her heart and Liam is her soul. I know she has made a lot of mistakes. But the passion, the love she has for you is just deep. It runs so deep. That night when I confronted her, for the first time, she was real with me, Daniel. There was vulnerability in her. There was raw pain. I felt it. So I could not just throw her to the wolves. My heart did not allow me, Daniel. And I am sorry."

Daniel's sigh resonated with a heavy burden as he admitted, "I don't think I should be angry at you, Seher. I really don't know what I am doing these days because I feel like a fucking fool. I feel so naive for falling for all her lies. I blame myself."