Chapter 67: Slice of Cake

Seher muttered to herself, realizing she was running terribly late. The harsh November winds signaled the onset of winter, and Seher had chosen to introduce Sarson Ka Saag to the cafe menu as a winter special, even preparing it for Maximilian, Victor and Meher. While the dish was healthy and delicious, it demanded considerable time as Seher opted for fresh sarson and palak (spinach) leaves from the farmer's market instead of the processed ones. She had started her day at 5 in the morning, meticulously cleaning pounds of leaves, followed by boiling and pureeing them in batches to prepare the saag.

A board outside highlighted the introduction of Sarson Ka Saag with Makki ki Roti, accompanied by homemade white butter and jaggery. It was proving as a popular lunch choice today. As Miles was still learning the tempering technique for this new dish, he managed to make a batch that closely resembled Seher's for the previous customer. Now, both Seher and Miles were engrossed in fulfilling five more orders and a larger sixth one intended for Maximilian and Victor.

"I think I need to hire another assistant," Seher told Miles, who nodded in agreement, saying, "I agree, Seher. The volume of customers is increasing day by day. If you want, I can look for somebody in my professional circle who knows the ins and outs of Indian cuisine." Grateful, Seher responded, "That would be great, Miles. Thank you so much. Just get them here whenever it's possible, and I'll interview them. But make sure they are sincere people. I don't want rowdy workers under my hand. If you could get somebody like you, it would be awesome." Smiling, Miles assured her, "Sure, I'll get the best ones, don't worry."

As Seher turned to cook the chapattis, she had already written the letter to go with the food in the morning. While packing her food, Ashley entered, telling Seher that George had arrived. Seher requested 5 more minutes as she hurriedly packed both the tiffins. Turning to Miles, she said, "Miles, tables 14, 8, and 12 need to be given these plates. Can you get Ashton to deliver them, please?" "Sure, Seher," Miles replied as Seher took the bag and went outside to meet George and hand over her letter.

"Hi George," Seher greeted as George smiled at her. "Here's the lunch," she said. "Thank you," replied George as he turned to leave. Seher frowned and called for him, and he hesitated. She asked, "Do you have something for me?" George, with a sense of pity, looked at her and said, "No, Seher, not today." Disappointment spread across Seher's face, and George wanted to inquire with his boss about the missing letter, but he knew he couldn't. He gave her a sad smile and added, "I'll see you tomorrow, Seher."

Seher forced a smile and nodded. She stood there for a moment, trying to understand why Maximilian hadn't sent a letter. Questions raced through her mind - had she said something wrong? Was he angry? Had she offended him? Were her letters becoming too boring? Had she expected too much by anticipating one every day? It was she who was supposed to write the names of the dishes, not him. He was never supposed to send her notes. The disappointment weighed heavy on her chest, making her feel hot. Ashley called her, and Seher, still lost in thought, responded, "I'll be there, Ashley." Turning to walk into the kitchen, her mind still on Maximilian, she prepared all the orders and served the customers.

In keeping with the routine, George entered Maximilian's cabin with his lunch, after placing Victor's on Beatrice's desk as instructed. As Maximilian looked up at George, he inquired if Seher had asked for the letter. After George nodded, Maximilian pressed further, "Did she seem disappointed?" George hesitated, then nodded again, prompting Maximilian to say, "Tell me, George."

As George expressed concern, mentioning that Seher seemed sad and disappointed, a small smile appeared on Maximilian's lips. George, usually unshaken by his boss's actions, felt a hint of anger at Maximilian's apparent heartlessness. Noticing George still standing there, Maximilian raised an eyebrow and asked, "Can I help you?"