Chapter 89: Monday Greens

Hi Ian,
Welcome back to work after a long weekend. With our phone numbers exchanged and our lengthy calls after work, I find myself at a loss for what to write in these letters. We spend two hours on the phone, and Meher updates you on her day independently. So, I've decided to use these letters as a platform to vent, considering your domineering boss demeanor. Here, I can express everything without the distraction of those blue eyes that make me giddy and derail my thoughts. So, here goes.
Firstly, I want to express my gratitude for the anklets. I recall our conversation where you insisted they were minor in terms of cost, but Ian, it's not about the jewelry; it's about your words. So, thank you for that. Also, did I properly thank you for the beautiful dress? It's stunning. Despite a curry mishap that led to a trip to the dry cleaner, I refrained from scolding your mischievous blessing, who was already a tearful mess over the incident. Thanks again for the lovely dress. I've kept it, and I'm sure Meher will wear it on another special occasion before outgrowing it. Please abstain from buying such expensive couture in the future; you know how quickly she outgrows things.
Now, regarding the big gold coin you procured during the worship - we never got to discuss it despite your look that suggested otherwise. Ian, that's an extremely expensive gift, and I won't argue about it because gold on Diwali is considered very auspicious, and I couldn't afford it. So, thank you sincerely for the generous gesture.
Those are the three thank-yous I needed to convey.
I forgot to ask for Beatrice's phone number. Could you please send it to me? Or, you know what, I'll just text you on WhatsApp about it. You'll probably forget from the letter.
Now that my rant for the day is done, and since I was feeling very thankful for everything you've done, I decided to try my hand at your cuisine. Today, I'm sending you chicken pelmeni. Please don't be too critical about it; I've never had pelmeni before, and it seemed like the most straightforward Russian dish for a beginner. Consider it my thank-you to you and Victor for being there on Diwali and just being the awesome, handsome men you are.
As for lunch, I've sent a very light matar pulao (peas rice) with dal and cucumber raita. Have that, and make sure it's hot, Ian.
I'm tired of telling you this again and again. You cannot miss your lunchtime just because of work, and George does tell me whenever you have your lunch in the evening, and it stresses me out. If you stress me out even more, I might have to leave my lunch hour and somehow visit your office to feed you so that you can eat in time. If you don't want me to stress about that, please start having your lunch on time. I don't need to say this about Victor because he's a good boy, unlike you. He prioritizes food and his health, but with you, it's like dealing with Meher. Please behave like the grown-up you are. So, yes, have it on time, and I'll wait for your call in the evening.
P.S. Did I tell you how dashing you looked at the party?
Yours, Seher

Maximilian delicately placed the letter before him and, with a hint of anticipation, opened his tiffin. However, a subtle furrow appeared on his brow as he absorbed the contents of the letter. His bewilderment stemmed from his girl's apparent admiration for his brother. She began by describing him as handsome, which irked Maximilian. The subsequent praise, labeling Victor a "good boy," further heightened his dissatisfaction. It wasn't that Maximilian desired such validation himself; rather, being referred to as a "good boy" felt belittling.

As he contemplated these sentiments, an additional layer of confusion emerged. The question lingered: How did she possess such specific details about Victor's lunchtime routine? George, the usual lunch bearer, didn't deliver directly to Victor; instead, Beatrice, his assistant, handled the task. George entrusted the lunch to her, who then facilitated its setup for Victor. This raised the question: how did Seher come to know about Victor's punctuality in having lunch? The puzzle unfolded as Maximilian, unable to restrain his curiosity, promptly picked up his tiffin and strode purposefully toward Victor's cabin.