Chapter 84: Was and Is

Maximilian acknowledged Mr. Anderson with a nod but gestured to wait for a moment. "Mr. Anderson, I'd be happy to have a conversation with you, but could we please wait a few minutes? Seher wanted to introduce me to her family, and I want her to have the chance to do that before we delve into more serious discussions." Richard agreed, settling on the couch, and Maximilian turned toward Meher's room.

Upon entering, he found a pleased Meher already adorned in the exquisite dress. Seher, however, appeared notably displeased. Amused, Maximilian queried, "Baby, why the anger again?" Seher shook her head, "This girl is becoming naughtier by the day. She was so overly excited to wear the dress that she did not even let me wash her hands and face before doing so."

Maximilian chuckled, nodding, and winked at Meher, eliciting a giggle. Ignoring Seher's glare, he proceeded to the washroom, dampened a towel with warm water, and approached the little girl. Placing her on the bed, he gently wiped her face with the warm towel and dried it with another. Repeating the process with her hands and then her little feet, Maximilian heard the faint sound of bells. Lifting the skirt slightly, he discovered silver bracelets with tiny bells adorning her anklets.

He wore a perplexed expression as Seher clarified, "These are anklets. Though I'm very much against adorning little children, it's just that daughters are very auspicious to us. And it's my first Diwali, as..." Seher paused briefly to collect her thoughts, "As this happy person, you know."

Maximilian nodded in understanding as Seher continued, "So, I got her these because she's the goddess of my house, and it brings positivity. Just for today, I got her these anklets. You see, in India when a child is born, grandparents, uncles, and aunts gift various pieces of jewelry - chains, bracelets, earrings, anklets. But my baby girl didn't receive any of that. So, I'm trying to build her a treasure with whatever little I have. This is officially Meher's first piece of jewelry, a pair of silver anklets. I know it's not much, but I'm just so happy to be starting somewhere." As Seher concluded, a tear slid down her right cheek, which she promptly wiped away.

Maximilian smiled at Seher, his gaze lingering on her for a few seconds, genuinely admiring the woman before him. Observing the simplicity of the fake diamond earrings she wore, the absence of extravagant jewelry for herself contrasted with the thoughtful gesture of silver anklets for her daughter. Already having recognized her as an incredible woman, he felt fortunate to have found her. In that moment, his determination to keep her in his life, to cherish and provide for her, solidified. Seher was gradually making a home in his heart, a fact that he welcomed wholeheartedly.

Turning his attention to Meher, who joyfully jingled the anklets, Maximilian took her feet and planted a kiss on both of them. Standing up, he softly kissed Seher's head and left the room. Retrieving his phone, he dialed and spoke to the person who answered, "Ethan, I need you to do something for me."

As Meher twirled around, admiring herself from every possible angle in the mirror, Seher shook her head in amusement. Applying the customary black dot on her daughter's forehead, Seher found herself contemplating for a moment before placing another behind Meher's ear. Though not superstitious herself, Seher couldn't resist the tradition today, especially when her daughter looked so incredibly beautiful.

Meher resembled a doll, a gem, and every glimpse of her happiness brought tears to Seher's eyes. This little girl had given her a life, the title of a mother, and Seher was determined to deserve it. It wasn't just a small title; it carried the weight of responsibility and love. Seher's ultimate wish was for Meher to have a life far better than what she might have had back in India. Each time Seher looked at her daughter, she wished for a long, joyous, and successful life.

"Mahi--," Seher said with a gentle smile, "--you can go show your beautiful dress to nanu (grandpa) and nani (grandma). But remember, no running, okay?" She planted a kiss on Meher's little forehead as the excited girl bounced outside, enthusiastically shouting, "Nanu, see my pwetty dwess!"