Chapter 14: Unresolved Shadows

The cold of Chicago was at its peak as January drew to a close, and Seher was on high alert, bundling up the children as if they were headed for an Arctic expedition. They were cocooned in layers of jackets, caps, gloves, and woolen socks. With the amount of clothing she insisted they wear, the kids had to wobble around just to move. For Daniel, it was a comical sight watching the little ones fuss about their excessive attire.

One particular Sunday, the sun made a feeble attempt to brighten the Chicago winter. Seeing this, Daniel thought it was an excellent opportunity to take the children to the park for some much-needed outdoor time. Seher, true to form, prepared them for an expedition to the North Pole, causing the kids to throw tantrums. As she explained the importance of staying warm, Daniel took an unexpected stance.

He looked at Seher and said, "Seher, I don't think they need four jackets. One should suffice. You can layer them up with a t-shirt, a heavy sweater, and a big jacket. The one they have on doesn't let any wind through." He cast an amused glance at Seher, who glared back, her anger evident.

She asked incredulously, "How can you say that? Do you realize how cold it is outside? They could get seriously sick! They're just little babies, not used to this kind of cold. How can you even suggest this? And one jacket? Are you serious? You're wearing two yourself! How can you ask the children to wear just one? Look at them, they're so small!" Her anger flared.

To her surprise, Liam and Meher, like two tiny allies, joined Daniel, reaching out to hold one of his hands each. Liam chimed in, "But, Belle, Dada is right. You know, I always wear one jacket when we go outside in the cold. Please, Belle." Meher, in her adorable lisp, repeated, "Pwease, Belle."

Taking a deep breath, Seher looked at Daniel and warned, "If, God forbid, they fall ill, you'll face serious consequences, Mr. Mitchell. Very dire consequences." She retreated to her room to layer up in her own warm clothing.

Daniel sighed and turned to the children standing on either side of him. He playfully warned, "Well, children, please don't fall sick. Otherwise, she," he pointed in the direction Seher had gone, "will turn into the monster." The mere thought made him shudder.

By the time Seher returned, Daniel had succeeded in reducing the kids' attire to a reasonable level, allowing them to move and play more freely. Off they went, ready for their winter park adventure.

As they walked towards the nearby park, Liam held Meher's hand securely, guiding her carefully with each step. A few paces behind, Seher and Daniel discreetly held hands. This connection had become a customary part of their interaction over the past few weeks, ever since their memorable date in New York. They found themselves growing closer with each passing day.

Their relationship had flourished during their cozy date nights at home, after the staff had gone for the day and the children were tucked into bed. On one occasion, Daniel had transformed his room's balcony into a charming candle-lit dining spot where they talked until the early hours. Another time, he had attempted to cook for Seher, but his culinary skills were abysmal, leading to a comical disaster. They shared a hearty laugh before ordering pizza as a rescue mission.

However, they hadn't been able to venture outside much after their New York trip. Finding a replacement babysitter for Seher, who was already filling that role, presented a peculiar dilemma, given the father's desire to go out on a date with the original nanny. They had shared a laugh about this odd predicament but contemplated the idea of hiring one of the local high school teenagers who offered part-time babysitting services. The idea was to let the children sleep under their watchful gaze while Daniel could take Seher out. But they were waiting for more favorable weather, hoping for a time when snow didn't accumulate up to their knees.