Chapter 61: Sweet and Savory Deals

The following day, precisely at 12:30 p.m., Ethan Carrigan found himself once again at Saffron Street Café, facing Ashley, who looked surprised. She remarked, "You know what? Let me call Seher, and you can discuss this with her." Ethan nodded, "Sure, not a problem. While I wait, could you get me something vegetarian to eat?"

"Of course," replied Ashley. She headed into the kitchen, calling out to Seher, "Seher, Mr. Maximillian's assistant is here." Seher, surprised, said, "He needs lunch again?" Ashley confirmed, "Yes, but he wants to talk to you first."

"Alright," said Seher. As she approached Ethan, he greeted her with a smile, "Hello, ma'am." Seher responded, "Please don't call me ma'am. Call me Seher. And what's your name?"

Ethan smiled, "My name is Ethan Carrigan, Seher." Seher nodded, "Alright, Ethan. Please have a seat. I see that your boss wants lunch again." Ethan nodded and continued, "Yes, Seher. But I come with a proposition from my boss. He's asked me to tell you that he wants lunch every day from Monday to Friday, as those are the days he's in his office until he has to leave. Occasionally, he travels for business, but we'll inform you about that. He wants exactly what you're preparing for Meher. He's also mentioned that I won't be able to come and collect it every day; he'll send the driver. He doesn't want anything special, just the same as you prepare for Meher. He's also sent this for you."

Ethan handed a piece of paper to Seher, who opened it with a gasp. It was a letter, personally handwritten by Mr. Maximillian. Seher began reading it.

Hello Ms. Sandhu,
Thank you for yesterday's lunch, it was absolutely delicious. I apologize for not discussing this directly with you, but I had an impromptu meeting to attend, so I sent my assistant. Firstly, I must express that your daughter is a delight to be with, and kindness towards her should be a given, so you need not thank me for that.
Regarding the food, while I hold the items from your cafe's menu in high regard, there's a unique connection I feel with the meals you prepare for your daughter. I'd like to propose a mutually beneficial arrangement. If you're amenable, could you extend the same meal preparation to include me? The dishes you create for your daughter are perfect for my preferences, and there's no need for any additional effort on your part. I'm even open to a child-friendly version of the dish.
To kickstart this collaboration, I've sent an advance amount via Ethan. Additionally, I propose to remunerate you with $2,000 weekly for your culinary services, with payments made through your preferred method.
If feasible, I kindly request a list of the dish names written on a piece of paper. This will aid me in identifying my preferences for future orders, like to the thoughtful list you provided yesterday.
Should you find the proposed amount insufficient, please communicate this to Ethan, and he will make the necessary adjustments based on your comfort.
I would be immensely thankful if you consider and accept this proposition.
Maximillian.

Seher found herself in disbelief as she read the note, repeatedly going through the words. The man was willing to pay $8,000 a month for basic homemade meals. The idea of this offer being more than just a gesture began to sink in, hinting at the possibility of a lunch service. As a cafe chef, not accustomed to such requests, she recognized the need for a conversation.

However, she appreciated his admiration for her cooking and the resonance he felt with the food. Despite the potential transition into a lunch service, Seher wasn't offended. His request for simple, home-cooked Indian food, akin to what she prepared for her daughter and others, seemed reasonable.

Reflecting on the variety of dishes she sent him, Seher considered the less favored Indian options she fed her daughter-vegetables like long gourd, round gourd, and cauliflower that Meher despised. If he desired this kind of home food, he needed to be prepared for the not-so-favored dishes as well. Recognizing his request for a note like the one sent yesterday, Seher decided to be explicit in today's note. She planned to list the names of the less appealing vegetables, ones generally disliked, and invite him to reconsider his request.