Chapter 37: Echoes of Regret

The following day, Seher methodically began packing her belongings, opting for a low-key approach to avoid drawing Daniel's attention. Aware that she might be perceived as taking the cowardly route, she justified her actions by considering the difficulty of separating the children. She didn't want to involve Daniel in arguments that would complicate matters further.

Daniel had decided to stick to regular office hours today, providing Seher with a window after 11 this morning when he would leave for work. Recognizing that leaving in his presence would trigger a barrage of questions and attempts to convince her to stay, Seher called Elaine, the person who had been supporting her.

Elaine answered the phone with concern, "Darling, you're not here yet? Is my baby okay?" Seher smiled at Elaine's caring tone and reassured her, "Yes, Elaine, Meher is perfectly okay. It's just that Daniel is home, and I don't think he'll be working long hours. So, I'll be there less this week, whenever I get a chance."

Expressing her worry, Elaine advised Seher, "Look, darling, I understand you want to avoid the boy, and you don't want him confronting you, but you have to tell him that you would no longer be working for him. Sneaking around is going to cause you trouble later."

Seher sighed in agreement, replying, "I understand what you're saying, Elaine, but as long as I'm in this house, he's going to use Liam to try to stop me. So, I just need to hold it together for this week. I'll tell him when I'm officially no longer his employee."

As Elaine reassured Seher, saying, "Whatever you think is right, darling, but if that boy gives you too much trouble, then you know that Richie will set him straight," Seher couldn't help but feel a surge of gratitude for the support she found in Elaine and her husband, Richard.

Seher remembered how Richard had been quite angry since three days ago when she told them about Daniel and Amelia. Elaine had been apologizing profusely for recommending her that job, but Seher made it clear that nothing bad physically happened to her. She explained to them that Daniel was not the villain they might think he was, just confused about his feelings. It didn't excuse his actions-making big promises and stringing her along-but there was no reason to hate him or resort to violence, as Richard had been suggesting.

After finalizing their plans for the day, Elaine and Seher ended the call. Seher couldn't suppress a smile as she reflected on the beautiful relationship she shared with Elaine and Richard. Tears welled up in her eyes as she contemplated how, for the first time, she was experiencing something akin to a father's and a mother's love. The way Elaine cared for her, ensuring she ate well, and the protective instincts Richard displayed left a profound impact on Seher.

Feeling a mixture of joy and gratitude, Seher looked up, silently thanking her support system. In that moment, she expressed her gratitude to her God for introducing her to these two beautiful souls who loved her unconditionally. With a heartfelt smile and tears streaming down her face, Seher whispered, "Thank you for watching over me, Babaji."

As Daniel descended the stairs, having finally risen from his slumber, bathed, and donned his office formals at a reasonable hour - a notable departure from his routine of leaving home before sunrise for the past week - a sense of positive change enveloped him. The joyful chatter of the children downstairs reached his ears, fueling his anticipation for a shared breakfast. He looked forward to hearing Liam's animated tales about the week and observing Meher, who often mimicked her older companion like a playful baby monkey.

As he entered the dining room, expecting to find Seher with the children as usual, Daniel came to an abrupt halt. Instead of Seher, it was Amelia seated there with Liam and Meher. Meher occupied Liam's high chair, while Liam, asserting his status as a "big boy," had started using an adult chair with cushions beneath him. Before them were plates adorned with pancakes drenched in chocolate sauce and adorned with cut strawberries. Seated between the two children, Amelia appeared focused on ensuring they both ate.