Chapter 23: Round Two

In Daniel's eyes, Seher sensed an impending conversation. He seemed ready to approach her, and her feelings were mixed. While she had been eager for this talk a few days ago, her emotions had shifted since then. Amelia's sudden return without prior warning and Daniel's subsequent neglect raised doubts about the explanation he might give. She couldn't help but wonder about the worst-case scenario - the end of their relationship or even losing her job. Such uncertainties clouded her mind.

After putting Meher down for a nap, Seher thought about the disruption of their daily routine. Amelia's constant demand for Liam's attention had disrupted the close bond between her son and Meher. The attachment Meher had formed to Liam and Daniel only added to her unease. The future seemed as uncertain as the fate of polar bears on Earth, and it felt futile to seek clarity. This had always been her fear.

Nonetheless, she wanted Daniel to clarify the situation. Her broken heart couldn't take precedence over her daughter's future. She had worked tirelessly to ensure their happiness, and her commitment was unswerving. With unwavering determination, she made her way downstairs, briefly checking the baby monitor camera. As she approached the living room, she couldn't ignore Daniel's presence. The rhythmic tapping of his fingers on the couch revealed a hint of his nervousness, although his posture showed composure. He stood, evidently ready to initiate a conversation, as she approached. His demeanor conveyed a mix of anxiety and hesitance.

Daniel struggled to discern Seher's emotions from her expression, but he could sense a mixture of hurt, anger, and confusion. These were feelings he had been grappling with himself. As she approached him, he gestured for her to sit beside him on the couch. However, Seher, with a fleeting glance, opted to sit on the couch opposite to his, rather than beside him as he had hoped.

Bewildered, Daniel looked at her and shook his head. He pleaded, "Please, don't distance yourself like this, my love. You won't even sit near me anymore." His voice carried a hint of hurt. Saheb mentally scoffed at his expression and responded, "I'm sorry, Mr. Mitchell, but I wouldn't want Mrs. Mitchell or any of my fellow staff to misinterpret our interactions.

Daniel couldn't hide his frustration as he groaned at Seher's words. He sank into the couch with a heavy sigh.

"Look Seher," Daniel began, "I understand you're hurt and angry, and you have every right to be, but please, don't push me away like this. I can't bear it. I know I've made a big mess by springing Amelia on you without notice, and I've been spending too much time with her without correcting her when she referred to you as staff. I know I've been unfair, but can you please give me ten minutes to explain myself?"

Seher maintained her unyielding gaze and replied, "I am your staff, Daniel. Let's not forget that's the reality. I am your staff, and as my boss, you can take all the time you want to talk to me. But before we begin, I need a simple 'yes' or 'no' answer."

She continued firmly, "Are you planning to fire me as Liam's nanny? Because, Daniel, if you are, I request you to give me two weeks, even if you're not obligated to. According to the contract, I know you can terminate my employment immediately, but I need that extra time to find another job. You see, I have a child to think of, her safety, her financial and social well-being. That's my priority."

Daniel, bewildered and a little taken aback, questioned, "What are you talking about? Seher, why on earth would I fire you?"

Daniel's tone grew more resolute as he continued, "I want to make it absolutely clear, Seher, that I would never cast aside a mother and her two-year-old without providing them with a proper safety net. I don't possess that kind of callousness."

He reaffirmed, "Even in a worst-case scenario, where you might have made a significant mistake, I would still not terminate your employment without due notice. You need to understand that I adhere to certain principles. However, let me emphasize that we're not dealing with any such scenario. The reality is, I am not letting you go, and you won't be leaving," he stated firmly.