Chapter 29: Old and New Friends

Seated in his office at the Mitchell Technology Tower, Daniel wore a contented smile as he reminisced about the previous evening - a delightful interlude after weeks of remote work. The night had unfolded as a friendly date with his wife, Amelia.

Departing from home, Daniel carried with him a lingering sadness from his interaction with Seher. Yet, as the evening with Amelia unfolded, a transformation occurred. They engaged in an activity that had long been a shared passion - watching an enthralling science fiction movie. This shared love for the genre had been a constant thread throughout their relationship, often defining the essence of their dates.

Immersed in the captivating realms of the movie, the couple traversed down memory lane, constructing elaborate fan theories, and engaging in animated discussions over dinner. The promise made earlier materialized as they savored greasy cheeseburgers, accompanied by a couple of beers. For Daniel, this evening served as a rare opportunity to relinquish the responsibilities of a tech CEO, a father, and a 35-year-old man, transporting him back to the carefree days of college, relishing moments of youthful joy with Amelia.

The night held an additional layer of indulgence as Daniel allowed himself not one but three of his favored salted caramel doughnuts. Laughter became the soundtrack of the night, punctuating their enjoyment and temporarily eclipsing the complexities that usually defined Daniel's daily life. The sweet kiss Amelia planted on their doorstep, reminiscent of teenage romance, added a playful touch to their return home.

The light-heartedness continued as, in a cheeky manner, Amelia accompanied Daniel back to his bedroom, playfully casting him as a damsel in distress in need of her protection. The shared laughter resonated through the house, their cautiousness about waking the children serving as a testament to the genuine joy that saturated the night.

Upon reflection, Daniel recognized that the evening had provided a reprieve from the emotional turbulence in his life. The greasy cheeseburgers, the inexpensive beer, the nostalgic entertainment, and, most importantly, the delightful company of his wife, all contributed to a genuine sense of happiness. Despite the return to the routines of daily life, the silly smile on Daniel's face endured - a reminder of the rare and sincere joy he had experienced in a long time.

His train of thought was interrupted by the familiar ringtone of his phone. Glancing at the caller ID, he noticed it was Dr. Harper, Amelia's doctor. Swiftly answering the call, Daniel greeted the doctor, "Good afternoon, Dr. Harper." Dr. Harper, whom Daniel had supported in securing a position at Chicago City Hospital, maintained a respectful tone. "Hello, Mr. Mitchell. How are you?" inquired Dr. Harper.

"I'm well, Dr. Harper," replied Daniel, a hint of concern in his voice. "Is something wrong?" He feared the call might bring unwelcome news about Amelia's health.

Dr. Harper reassured him, "No need to worry, Mr. Mitchell. I just wanted to inquire about Mrs. Mitchell's health, given your concerns about her headaches and migraines." A sigh of relief escaped Daniel as he absorbed the doctor's words. "Ah doctor, yes, she was very uncomfortable the past few days, but since yesterday morning, I've seen significant improvement. She was fine the whole day. In fact, in the evening, we were out, and she was extremely happy. I did not see any pain or discomfort on her face," Daniel explained.

The doctor responded, "That's extremely good news, Mr. Mitchell. As I told you, if you keep the environment less stressful around her, then I don't think migraines will be an issue. The brain is very complicated when it comes to head injuries." Daniel nodded, expressing his understanding and commitment to ensuring a stress-free environment for Amelia. "Yes, Dr. Harper, I assure you that I will make sure the environment around Amelia is stress-free, and I'll adhere to whatever she wants. Her health is of prime importance. Thank you so much for your help and calling," Daniel conveyed his gratitude.