Chapter 104: Haunting Skeletons

It was the morning before Christmas Eve, and the café had closed for a 10-day holiday starting the previous day. Seher longed for some quality time with her family, especially since Christmas held significant importance in America. She wished Miles, Jean, Ashton, and Ashley could also enjoy a stress-free, work-free Christmas with their families.

Considering the impact on the business, Seher consulted Richard, who emphasized the importance of work-life balance. Despite the potential for lucrative business during the Christmas to New Year's week, he stressed the value of prioritizing family over financial gains to create lasting memories. He believed that temporarily closing the café could facilitate this balance.

Empowered by Richard's advice, she decided to close the café. Upon informing Maximilian of her plans to shut down from Christmas to New Year's, he insisted that she and Meher stay with him, which they did. That night, after settling the café for the week, her boyfriend had whisked Seher and Meher away to his mansion.

He had also extended an official invitation to Richard and Elaine for Christmas lunch, but they declined, opting for a couple's trip before Rachel's daughter's birth. Seher admired how the older couple managed their relationship with grace and passion, even after many years of marriage. They understood the importance of setting aside time for each other, away from their children and work, which was truly inspiring.

With plans to reunite for lunch on December 30th, the Sandhu girls temporarily relocated to Maximilian's home, eager to spend the holidays in a warm and welcoming environment.

As Seher awoke, she reached out to the left side of the bed, expecting to find her man there, but frowned when she realized he was not. Upon their arrival at the mansion, she had assumed she would be assigned to a guest room. However, Maximilian, in his typical fashion, had insisted she stay with him in his room. He had used his assertive strength to physically place her there, offering to move to the guest room if she preferred, but he was firm that she would not be staying there.

She contemplated this arrangement. It wasn't because she felt uncomfortable around him; in fact, they were closer than ever, especially in terms of physical intimacy. However, as someone deeply rooted in Indian values, there were certain cultural norms she hesitated to break. The idea of sharing a room with a man before marriage was traditionally frowned upon in her culture and many others. Yet, she acknowledged that they lived in a modern world where boundaries were often blurred. Besides, staying in the same home but not with Maximilian would have left her feeling quite lonely.

As Seher checked her phone, the time displayed just past 6 in the morning, the darkness outside still enveloping the surroundings. Initially, she speculated that Meher might have awakened, but her attention was drawn to the slightly ajar balcony door. Wrapping herself in a thick blanket, she ventured towards the balcony, where Maximilian sat on the sofa, his gaze fixed skyward. A furrow creased her brow as she observed him; his recent bouts of stress had not escaped her notice. Though she had attempted to broach the subject, he consistently evaded her inquiries. However, his demeanor over the past week had left her unsettled, and she found herself increasingly concerned about his well-being.

Clearing her throat, she caught his attention as his eyes met hers, accompanied by a warm smile. His appearance struck her as particularly captivating- he seemed at ease, yet there was an underlying tension. "Good morning, baby. Why are you up so early?" Maximilian inquired, extending his hand to her.

Still feeling a bit drowsy, Seher accepted Maximilian's hand as he pulled her onto his lap. Wrapping the blanket around both of them, she nestled against him, resting her head on his shoulder. As warmth enveloped them, she inquired, "Why aren't you in bed?"

He shrugged, "Just couldn't sleep. Came out here instead. Did I wake you?"

"No, Ian," Seher reassured him. "I reached out for you on your side of the bed and didn't find you there."