Chapter 80: The Eye of a Monster

On that chilly Chicago night, the air in Seher's modest abode was colder still. As Seher wrestled with the haunting memories of her past, summoning the strength to share the remainder with Maximilian, he grappled with the realization that Seher harbored a husband, one she labeled a monster, suggesting he had inflicted harm upon her. Observing the woman before him, shattered and vulnerable, Maximilian drew closer, gently clasping her hand and pressing a tender kiss on the pulse point of her wrist.

Softly, he murmured, "You don't have to tell me everything right now, baby," to which Seher shook her head, wiping away tears with her free hand.

"It's taken me a lot of courage to talk to you about this, Maximilian. I haven't shared these things with anybody. They've lingered in my mind and heart, unspoken. But tonight, I want to. I want to let go of this burden, and move forward with you, and to do that, I need to confront it."

"So yes, Amardeep," Seher began, her voice steady. "He presented himself as a genuinely nice person when we first met. He shared that he had noticed me in college, fallen in love, and envisioned a life together. Despite being a few years older and having left college early, he expressed his intention to take over his father's business and proposed a partnership, both in life and in the business. He strongly believed in the idea of marrying young for happiness. While our ideologies differed, I couldn't entirely dismiss his charm and well-chosen words."

Seher took a moment, reflecting on her past. "I was suspicious about my uncle's motives because he wouldn't be kind enough to arrange such a good proposal without seeking something in return. When I confronted Amardeep, my suspicions were validated - he was indeed paying my uncle a big sum for my hand, a whole of ten lakh rupees, one million, for your reference. Now, this revelation deeply unsettled me. The idea of this seemingly nice guy essentially 'buying' me disgusted me. However, he skillfully manipulated my concerns, asserting that he wasn't purchasing me but rather attempting to alleviate my troubles. Aware of my uncle's malevolence, he claimed that he wanted to shield me from his evil ways."

A bitter chuckle escaped Seher's lips, "Like a naive fool, I failed to see the harm in it. I perceived it as his attempt to do good by me, my 'prince charming,' so to speak. While I wasn't in love with him, I had started to like and respect him. He was honest, sharing both the good and the bad. So, I thought, why not? This could resolve many of my issues, provide my aunt with a better life, ensure my home stayed with me, and prevent emotional blackmail to sign it away. It also promised a potential business venture, leveraging my passion, as a couple, as he had suggested. Thus, I said yes. Being extremely young at the time, just short of 21 and sheltered, I likely saw it all through rose-colored glasses. We got married as soon as I turned 21 and began residing in my house. He even took me to his place of business, a massive clothing shop spanning two floors-the largest in our little town. I didn't even question the reason behind not living with his parents, as is the norm in India. I perceived it as another one of his kind acts, allowing us to reside in my parental home, preserving the memories of my family."

Seher took another thoughtful sip of water, "Initially, for the first few days, he tried to get close to me, wanting to consummate our marriage. However, I wasn't emotionally ready for that step. Despite my gratitude for what he was doing for me and a sense of friendship, I had no romantic feelings for him. I wasn't comfortable, and though he persisted for a while, he eventually stopped trying. It was a relief when he ceased his attempts altogether. Surprisingly, he never brought it up again, appearing entirely unaffected. While it felt peculiar at the time, I let it go, thinking we had our whole lives ahead to address such matters. I assumed that when I felt ready, we could have that conversation. At least, I was relieved not to be put in the uncomfortable position of saying no to my husband anymore. So, in that sense, it was good."