Chapter 110: Ded Moroz

On Christmas morning, Meher was the first to awaken, her determined efforts to open the gate of her crib bed catching Maximilian's attention through the baby monitor screen. Observing her early awakening, Maximilian rose from his bed and entered her room next door.

Contrary to Seher's hopes from the previous night, no significant tongue action, as she had called it, unfolded. Having indulged in just one sangria due to her lack of experience with alcohol, Seher found herself a bit tipsy. Instead of any notable action, the night was filled with amusing conversations, including her humorous remark about Maximilian's appearance with braids secured by colorful clips, before they eventually retired for the night.

Upon entering the nursery adjacent to his, Maximilian was greeted by his blessing's joyful voice, "Good mowing, Maxi! It Chwistmas. Santa come. I go twee and see gift. Open gift!" Meher asserted eagerly. Maximilian stood there, contemplating her request and shook his head gently, "Well, Princess, it's only six in the morning, and everyone in the house is still asleep. What's the point of opening gifts if no one else is awake to enjoy it with you?"

Confused, Meher furrowed her brows, asking, "What you mean, Maxi?"

The man opened the crib gate and lifted her into his arms, explaining, "What I mean is, whoever brought you this gift would want to see you open it so they can see your reaction. It's like if you gave me a gift, you'd want me to open it in front of you, right?"

Understanding dawned on Meher as she nodded, "Hmm, otay, Maxi." And then she pouted, "But what I do now? I go my pulpul castle?" Maximilian chuckled softly, "No, Princess, it's still dark outside. How about we go to Maxi's room and try to sleep a bit more? You can sleep with me, but we have to be quiet because Mommy is still sleeping."

Meher agreed, but as Maximilian took her to the washroom to freshen up, she inquired, "Why Mommy sweep in your woom and I sweep in wainbow woom? You wove Mommy more, Maxi?"

Maximilian struggled for words, biting his lip in uncertainty. "Princess, first of all, I love you the most," he assured her. "You have your own special room because I love you so much. Mommy doesn't have a special room like yours. But Maxi's room is right next door, and you can come to to sleep with me whenever you want. You can sleep between Mommy and me."

Meher's eyes lit up at the idea, clapping her hands with toothpaste foam around her mouth. "Oh, wike baby sweep with Mommy and Daddy! Me wike it!" Maximilian's heart swelled at her innocent joy. After helping her rinse her mouth, he suggested, "Now, let's sit down and play for a little bit."

After a few minutes of playing with the blocks, Meher climbed back into Maximilian's lap, feeling sleepy. She looked up at him and said softly, "Maxi..."

Maximilian who was caressing her hair, hummed in response, "Yes, my blessing?" Meher continued, "Vee say Uncle Val Papa."

Maximilian's breath hitched, but he managed to reply, "Okay." Meher persisted, "Maxi, I no have Papa." His hands fisted, unsure of how to respond.

Then, the little one asked, "Whewe my Papa, Maxi?"

Maximilian took a deep breath, holding her closer, and said gently, "Princess, you have Maxi who loves you very much. You also have your Gio and Uncle Val, who is now your very good friend too. And you also have your Dadu." Almost drifting into sleep, Meher murmured, "But I wan my Papa, Maxi, just like Vee," before falling asleep in his arm, and the man just sat there, a whirlwind of emotions swirling inside him.

Unbeknownst to Maximilian, he wasn't the only one whose heart had shattered upon hearing that conversation. Seher had witnessed and felt every word through the baby cam. Determined, she reached for her phone and dialed a number. When the other person picked up, she greeted, "Hi Angelica, Merry Christmas. I have a huge favor to ask."