Chapter 42: The Eleventh Hour

Daniel woke up with a mild headache, a gift from last night's martinis. Chuckling, he realized that the guy who could knock down 20 of those things without blinking was now hungover with just 5, concluding that he was indeed getting old. Checking the time on his phone, he noted that it would be almost afternoon in Chicago and decided it was a good time to talk to people at home before his day got too busy.

As it was Saturday, the conference had officially begun, though Mr. Romanov wasn't set to arrive until the next afternoon. Daniel's plan for the day was to scout other companies present and make connections. While his primary focus was getting Andrei Romanov's attention, he didn't want to waste time just sitting around. Instead, he aimed to connect with other professionals and understand his major competitors' workings on a global level. Having made a name for himself in Chicago, Daniel now aspired for global success.

After freshening up with a cold shower to ease the headache, he ordered himself a black coffee. Seating himself, he called Amelia's phone, opting not to call Seher's as he found it inappropriate, intending to talk to all of them through Amelia's phone.

He saw Amelia's face on the screen as she greeted him with "Guten Morgen, Herr Mitchell." Daniel smiled in response and teased, "Well, Amy, I think you're just trying to show off that you know six languages." Amelia gasped playfully, "You accused me wrong, sir. You know how they say when in Rome, so I was just trying to give you the German feels." She shook her head dramatically, adding, "Nobody takes me seriously in this house." Daniel chuckled, "Well, you seem to be in a very good mood, Amy. Is it because I'm away from home that has made you so happy?" He raised an eyebrow.

Amelia's smile faded a bit as she composed herself and said in a somewhat somber tone, "Well, no, Danny, believe it or not, I really do miss you. But all this time with Liam, after so long, it feels as if I'm reconnecting with my son. Just like I connected with him first when he was born." Daniel gently smiled at his wife. Despite her past mistakes, he knew she was a good mother who loved Liam deeply. These days, she was proving herself, not that she needed to. No mother ever should need to prove her love. It was beautiful to see Amelia taking an interest in Liam's life, trying to reconnect with him and find happiness in getting back her role as a mother. It made Daniel realize that a father can be the best father he can be, but he can never replace a mom.

Daniel remarked to Amelia, "I'm pleased that you both are spending time together, reconnecting. However, what I find unsettling is that the son I worked hard to make a daddy's champ is turning into your mommy's boy so quickly." Amelia burst into laughter, replying, "Well, Danny, he was always a mommy's boy. If you ever thought otherwise, it was your misconception."

Daniel chuckled at her teasing tone and then inquired, "Did Liam ask why I'm not there? Did he have his class with Samantha today? Did you make sure that the night light in his room was on setting number 3 last night?" Daniel kept rambling questions as Amelia stopped him short and said, "Danny, wait. Take a breath. Look at you, shooting questions at me. It's like you're the mom."

Daniel sighed and said, "Amy, I told you, this is the first time I've been away from him." Amelia smiled at him and said, "I understand, Danny. I know. And yes, all of those things are done. He had a good class. I talked to Samantha after class. She, as usual, has so many praises for our son, and, well, I don't blame her. He takes after his mom, smart as a whip." Continuing, Amelia said, "And yes, his nightlight setting was on 3. In fact, we were up reading a story, and I was tired, so I just fell asleep in his bed. He's quite a little cuddly teddy, and I don't think I'm going back to my room tonight."

Daniel chuckled, and Amelia continued, "And yes, he's fine, he's eating, he did ask about you, and he's all right, missing you a little bit, but that's all right. We have quite a day planned. Today we are going to take your black Amex and go shopping, and if you get a message from your bank telling you that copious amounts of money are being used on lots of clothes and little Air Jordans, then please don't be surprised."