Chapter 81: Goddess

"What do you mean by that?" whispered Maximilian, looking at the defeated expression on her face. Seher replied, "I'll explain because that's how everything concludes. That's how this tale ends, and it marks the end of my self-respect. It's also how your feelings for me might end because what I did is not excusable." Maximilian shook his head and shrugged. He said, "Honestly, right now, Seher, I can't imagine anything that would make my feelings for you disappear. But go ahead, share it, and I'll probably tell you the same thing again. But first, tell me what happens next." Seher began, "Next, I started planning my escape."

"You know," Maximilian began, "I have a feeling that whatever you're about to share will deepen my respect for you. I'm genuinely curious about how you navigated the situation with Meher, especially given her lack of documentation." Seher offered him a melancholic smile and responded, "It's not a particularly heroic tale, Maximilian." He asserted firmly, "Ian, Seher. You call me Ian."

Seher averted her gaze, her cheeks flushed, and she confessed, "Yes, Ian, it's not a heroic tale. It's not a movie where I somehow hopped into a man's car, and he came to my rescue, or I sneaked onto a truck crossing the border, walking away from danger. None of that happened. I took a risk because, at that moment, all I had was that risk. I already knew I had to escape, not just for myself. If it were only me, it might have been somewhat easier because I possess an Aadhaar card, which serves as a kind of social security number for Indians. It contains fingerprints, eye scans, addresses, phone numbers, and bank account details-essentially everything about a person. I already had all the necessary documents. Although I lacked a passport, I had an Aadhaar card and a PAN card, required for financial matters. Amardeep had promised my involvement in his business, so I had the essential documentation. Obtaining a passport would have been straightforward. Honestly, my solo escape would have been quite manageable. I just needed to secure a passport, pull a few strings, and perhaps grease some palms, and I would have secured a ticket. I had a certain amount of money."

Sighing, she continued, "However, it was the baby, that posed a challenge because she lacked any record of her birth, and I was not her biological mother. I knew I needed assistance, but involving the police wasn't an option due to Amardeep's substantial wealth. The jewelry from the wedding was genuine gold, and the business he presented to me, whether real or rented, was significant. He navigated it as if he owned the place, acquainted with people. I wasn't sure about the extent of his connections. So, I approached Rocky, the local power figure in politics and property, who had a team of enforcers to do his dirt work. While I generally avoid illegal paths, I had no other choice. I sought help from him, knowing he had a way of transporting people across borders - to Canada, London, Chicago, and Australia. It came at a hefty price, but it was a service he provided. During my visit, a goon who instilled fear in everyone became an unexpected ally."

Seher's narrative was interrupted by Meher's cries from the adjoining room. Seher stood up and entered Meher's room, with Maximilian following suit. He positioned himself out of sight, ensuring Meher couldn't see him. As Seher picked up her daughter, Maximilian observed with a smile.

Despite the lack of a physical resemblance, the love Seher held for Meher was unmistakable. While he didn't know the complete story, he realized Seher had taken the illegal route just to be with Meher. He watched as Seher spoke to Meher in hushed tones, gently swinging her until the eyes closed, and she drifted back to sleep. Seher carefully placed her in the crib, covering her with a blanket. Maximilian silently observed this tender moment, contemplating the nature of love.

He had always believed that blood ties were the foundation of love, assuming that one could only love a child if they shared the same blood. However, his own parents had shattered that notion. Even before understanding the challenges Seher faced, Maximilian found himself deeply attached to Meher. Like her mother, he knew he was prepared to fight tooth and nail for the little girl, feeling a profound connection that defied conventional understanding.