Chapter 64: Knife and Cotton

Seher had five lunch orders pending, and Miles worked diligently to prepare them swiftly. Yet, the urge to read the letter upon its arrival proved irresistible. Her impatience, an unfamiliar feeling, heightened the excitement of this exchange-whether still formal or gradually turning informal, Seher couldn't discern. After George left with the lunch, having mentioned that the boss had a late lunch the previous day in response to her inquiry, she almost sprinted to the kitchen with the note in hand. Though reluctant to acknowledge it, these communications were evolving from mere notes to substantial letters. They were growing in length, a detail she chose not to ponder. After giving instructions to Miles, she settled at the end of the kitchen, opening the letter.

Good afternoon, Seher.
I am would like to surprise my blessing and telling you when that'd happen, would kill my purpose.
While I value the idea of sharing, I must admit I am possessive of my belongings. However, since you graciously sent food for my brother, I ensured that his useless self gets to enjoy it. The dessert was so delightful, so yesterday's meal was my favorite so far.
Now, Seher, why is it that to inquire about my name, you approach my driver, but to inquire about my brother's name, you write to me?
Nevertheless, I'll share - his name is Victor. Now that I've shared my brother's name, wouldn't you agree it's time you share something about yourself? As a businessman who believes in reciprocity, I propose a deal: with tomorrow's lunch, share a fact about yourself. Let's see if you've embraced the tactics of the business world.
And drop the 'mister' when you write.
Maximilian

Seher gasped as she read the letter, discovering Maximilian's claim of possessiveness over his belongings. She wondered what he meant by "belongings," certainly not her-perhaps her services that he was compensating for? The thought sent a shiver down her spine. Recognizing his playful teasing and reciprocal banter, she gasped again as she read his attempt to comment on her business skills, seemingly coaxing her to reveal a fact about herself. Narrowing her eyes, she silently vowed, "I will tell you, Maximilian, just wait."

Reading the final command about dropping the "mister," she narrowed her eyes once more, reflecting on the audacity of his words. Inwardly frustrated, she mumbled, "Please ya thank you jaise words toh jaise inki dictionary mein hain hi nahin. Baat toh aise karte hai jaise mujhe khareed liya ho (Words like 'please" or 'thank you' are not in his dictionary. He talks as if he's purchased me or something.) I'll teach him. Mr. Maximilian Romanov, a lesson in basic manners awaits you, just wait and watch." As she revisited the letter, the third time brought forth a fluttering sensation in her stomach.

M̶i̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ Maximilian,
Don't you think commenting on my business skills is getting old? It seems like a tactic to make people do what you want. Maybe that's why you're a good businessman, but that's just my guess since I know only your first and last name, and now, your brothers. (thank you for that)
Though it must work well for you because here's something about me: I'm 25 years old and don't have a formal business education. The cafe isn't mine; it belongs to someone I love, and they let me run it.
Is this enough for our exchange? Was it a good deal or a bad one?
Today's lunch is Arbi Masala (Colocasia), Lobia curry (Cowpea), Cucumber mint raita, and chapati for you. Victor's lunch is in separate containers.
Hope you enjoy your meal.
P.S. I shared three details for your one. Now, you owe me two. As a smart businessman, I doubt you'd want to be in my debt so why don't you tell me how old you are and I'll close this transaction.
Make sure to eat while it's hot. George informed me that you had your lunch cold at 4 yesterday, so I've bought insulated lunch boxes. Please try to have it as soon as it arrives.
Seher.