Chapter 11 - 15 Year Reunion (5)

“Don’t you think you should compensate for that?”

“……”

Zachary was silent, like he was at a loss for words. Believing that she had finally landed a decent blow on him, Bianca found her mood lifted to the point where she would have started humming had she been alone. The corners of her eyes curled up in delight.

She had been trembling with nervousness moments ago, yet she now found herself enjoying her conversation with Zachary, as if the few moments prior had all been a lie. Now that the reins were in her control, she was able to speak to him comfortably despite initially finding him terrifying. She had an urge to say more when she saw him looking so distressed and unable to do this or that.

Zachary eventually let out a sigh. It was deep and long, like a sign of a defeat, which led Bianca to feel a sense of triumph. Although the mending of their relationship was moving at a snail’s pace, Bianca felt like she was holding the upper hand.

“If I have to be honest, I’m confused as to why you’re being like this all of a sudden.”

Indeed. It was expected that Zachary would be taken aback. If Bianca hadn’t traveled back in time, something like this never would have occurred. It would certainly come as a surprise if your wife, who normally never showed her face, suddenly appeared and started talking about an heir. He wasn’t given any time to the settle the matter of his mistress either.

“I don’t mind if you have a mistress. That’s fine. I won’t tell you to end things with her. I could even take her under me,” Bianca said, putting on an air of consideration.

“…Mistress?”

“You don’t have to pretend. I’m not that naive.”

After marrying a 7-year-old bride at the age of 20, Zachary had essentially been living the past ten years in solitary. It was unlikely that he wouldn’t have taken in a mistress secretly all those years. It wasn’t just the maids who believed that, but everyone in the Arno castle who were aware of what Zachary and Bianca’s relationship was like. It was to the extent where even Bianca’s father, Count Blanchefort, had indirectly hinted to her to be prepared for.

Bianca herself thought it was only natural for him to have a mistress as well. It wasn’t like Zachary was infertile. No, he was a healthy, hot-blooded male. Simply recalling just how unyielding he had been on the bed with her in the past, she couldn’t imagine him not having a mistress.

Wasn’t she being rather generous in offering to take in his mistress?! Zachary treated her like a child, but that was only because he was unaware that she was a changed woman now. Bianca looked up at him nonchalantly.

But Zachary was angry. He didn’t make a sound or use his first, but the emotion painted over his features was clearly that of rage.

“Ha.”

He let out an exasperated sigh, like he had no more reason to continue listening. He looked like he could spit out curses at any moment, eyes sharp and piercing.

It was almost as if Bianca had hit his weakness.

Was his pride hurt from getting found out about having a mistress? How long was he planning on keeping her a secret?

In hindsight, seeing as how it had never been revealed even after his death, Zachary must be planning to continue hiding her away to the very end. It was likely he wanted to keep her a secret for as long as he could. It was also possible that he felt ashamed after his wife brought it out in the open.

But if he were to think of it level-headedly, he should realize that he would benefit from Bianca’s proposal too. He would receive his heir while also being able to go about with his mistress out in the open, no longer having to keep her a secret.