Ch.36

As Vincent looked at the candle in Bianca's hand, he quickly understood how things were going.

He had been with Zachary since they left the Huegh territory, and he was with Zachary when they entered Arno Castle. Since then, he had been taking care of Arno Castle for over 13 years.

Vincent asked, alternately looking at Nicholas and the employee with a puzzled expression.

"Does this happen often?"

"Well... I warned him, but..."

The employee nodded continuously and trailed off his words. It was evident that he didn't want to take responsibility. Vincent groaned.

"You are making candles, but these are not yours! Doesn't carving like this decrease the candle's burn time? Why didn't you inform me immediately?"

"I-I thought he would listen if I scolded him in moderation... He's stubborn, so it was difficult for us too. We can't put damaged candles in the castle as decorations then..."

When Vincent shouted, the head supervisor quickly offered more excuses. He seemed afraid to take responsibility and give the wrong response. But that answer turned Vincent's stomach.

Vincent pressed the employee.

"How do you deal with these damaged candles? I have never observed one among the entire supply."

"In the stable or... they're also used in our factory..."

Unbelievable. In other words, were they quietly dealing with this issue among the other subordinates without informing him? He was glad Nicholas wasn't stealing candles... However, this was a problem that needed to be addressed.

No matter how young Nicholas was, Vincent couldn't let this slide as long as he was a servant working on the estate. Vincent looked at Nicholas, who hung his head in front of the employee, with fearful eyes.

"Why the hell-?"

"Did you really do this?"

But Vincent couldn't finish his speech. It was because Bianca intervened before he could speak. As a butler, he couldn't interrupt his lady's words. Vincent's mouth naturally closed, but his eyes were filled with anxiety, disbelief, and dissatisfaction about what Bianca would say.

Nicholas tightly closed his eyes and trembled in fear as everyone surrounded and interrogated him. In particular, Bianca's piercing green eyes that stared at him were chilling, like a venomous snake sticking out its tongue to devour him.

The candle factory where Nicholas worked was also on the outskirts of Arno Castle. He had never met Bianca, who lived in the center of the castle. Of course, rumors about her were all Nicholas knew.

The Bianca that Nicholas knew was a rude and eccentric woman, and she was too cold to the Count, who always went to war for Arno. Recently, a maid who disobeyed her was stripped, beaten, and expelled, and the servants talked about how terrible it was.

As she was such a ruthless lady, she might break Nicholas' finger, claiming that he had recklessly touched the Lord's belongings. Nicholas clenched his fists and involuntarily trembled.

Unaware of Nicholas' fear, Bianca urged him once again to answer. Her green eyes were fixed on the candle she held in her hand.

"Did you really do this?"

But Vincent couldn't finish his speech. It was because Bianca intervened before he could speak. As a butler, he couldn't interrupt his lady's words. Vincent's mouth naturally closed, but his eyes were filled with anxiety, disbelief, and dissatisfaction about what Bianca would say.