Chapter 15 - A Wounded Palm (3)

Bianca frowned. She couldn’t recall his name. There was no need for her to remember it anyway, as she could always ask whenever she needed it.

“And you are?”

“…My name is Robert,” the man replied, jaw clenched. He was one of the captains of the Arno Knights. Not only was he a long-time aide of Zachary’s–proven by the fact he had been around back when Zachary and Bianca were engaged, and he had given his opinion on the Blancheforts’ proposed dowry for Bianca–but because he was also around Zachary’s age, the two were close enough to be considered near friends.

Though this was the first time Robert had ever spoken to Bianca directly, they had run into each other numerous times in the limited confines of the castle. Yet, to hear that she didn’t even know his name. Wait, is she even aware of my existence?

Her unfamiliarity with Robert further attested to her lack of interest in Zachary.

Bianca was dressed in satin garments which were bought using the money Zachary earned from rolling in puddles of blood and maggots from decaying corpses. And yet, to see her showing no interest in Zachary…! A surge of anger flared up in Robert, but he did his best to calm himself down. Of course, that didn’t mean he could get his hostility to subside immediately.

Bianca remained composed despite the incomprehensible hostility coming from the man who had appeared out of nowhere. Though it was a little irritating, this wasn’t her first time dealing with such a thing. Rather, it was Vincent coming to her defense that surprised her, not the man’s hostility.

“That’s no way to treat the madam, Sir Robert. First, please release your hand,” Vincent strictly admonished. Though he was only a steward, he was Zachary’s longest-serving aide, and thus Robert could not ignore him. With just one word from Vincent, he immediately released his grip on the cane, whereas he had no shown no sign of letting go earlier no matter what Bianca said.

Nevertheless, the one who stressed the importance of rank in the castle the most was Vincent. He was stern when it came to classifying who his superiors and inferiors were, and how to mediate between them. As a result, Bianca couldn’t exactly hate him, despite being aware of his dislike for her. Of course, that didn’t mean she liked him either.

Bianca sighed quietly. To think she’d have to explain herself in a situation like this. She felt pathetic, but she hid her torment before breaking the silence in a calm voice.

“I’m being relatively lenient.”

“A lenient master would never bring a cane down on a person,” Robert refuted flatly.

To think she’d hit a person–a human being, not even livestock!–so harshly. It was too cruel to be brushed off as a master disciplining her maid. Robert was the most upright and chivalrous of Zachary’s three captains, and he held a soft spot for women, but that was only towards women acknowledged as “proper” ladies. His eyes were cold, viewing Bianca as a cruel woman.

It was impossible for Bianca not to read his thoughts, as she was facing his gaze directly. He had suddenly shown up and was already deeming her to be cruel without even knowing the entire situation. Bianca snorted. She wasn’t even surprised by such prejudice anymore.

“The madam is correct. Not only is the punishment appropriate, it’s also quite lenient. Ante forgot her duty as a servant, and there would be nothing for us to say even if she were to be given a harsher punishment,” Vincent interjected.

It seemed the maid who called for him had also explained the situation quite well, better than Bianca thought. That, too, was unexpected. Bianca took another glance at the maid who had brought the cane. The maid, a brunette, lowered her head even further.