Ch.35

There was no way someone like Vincent could have missed this subtle draft, but he pretended not to notice. Since Sir Gaspar was attached as an escort, nothing would happen. Besides, no matter what, Bianca wouldn't be able to take over the castle if he interfered. It was also his karma that all the servants were like this.

He looked around the butcher shop and said sternly, pointing to a large salt shaker in the corner.

"In winter, there is less game, so it's difficult to find meat. It needs to be salted and preserved a bit longer. Since the meat needs to marinate in advance, it's important to pickle from autumn. We are already prepared for winter. If Madam is assigned the task later, she should stock up on salt early."

"I see."

Bianca nodded. The castle hostess was in charge of everything in the castle, including kitchen work. Not serving raw meat in winter was natural, but everything was unknown to Bianca, who had never been interested in such matters.

Vincent explained step by step how to procure meat for the winter months, not just salt, but also which seasonings and spices to use, and where to get pepper and sugar.

There was too much information coming at once. Bianca nodded, saying she understood, but she knew she wouldn't remember anything by the evening.

However, it wasn't good to show that image in a place where there were servants, so Bianca naturally kept her mouth shut. She only remembered the general idea and planned to ask Vincent about the details later. Vincent would look at her with an absurd look, but still answer her questions sincerely. Because that's his job.

They looked around the butcher shop and left. When Vincent added that he would now go to the candle shop and the sewing room, Bianca grimaced inwardly.

The candle factory was right in front of the meat depot. In the candle factory, candles were made from the leftover fat from the slaughter, and a man was stirring a large chunk of fat in a pot to prevent it from solidifying. Resin was one of the ingredients for making candles. This was the identity of the rancid smell that Bianca sensed.

"What we are making now are candles made from fat. It's a common candle supplied to the castle."

"It looks different from the ones I use."

"Yes. That's because the candles used by Madam, the count, and the ones in the dining hall are made of wax. Unlike those made with beef fat resin, they are a high-quality product that doesn't contain soot, they are clean, and they have a strong scent. They can only be made during the time when bees make honey, and they are a very valuable item because the quantity is not large. They are usually used to seal letters with the family crest and only used in church ceremonies or in the royal palace."

He said it in a tone that implicitly reproached that the candle she used to light even when it was a little dark was very precious.

It was such a biting tone that even if the people around couldn't notice it, Bianca, the person involved, could.

Bianca felt disheartened. It was true that it was extravagant, but it wasn't very pleasant to be reprimanded for something she didn't ask for. Still, she didn't want to raise her voice in front of her subordinates over trivial matters.

Instead of being arrogant and irritable, Bianca asked quietly, as if she had nothing to do with it.

"Was it that precious? I didn't know. Who asked for that candle to be used?"

"The Count."

"I don't know why the Count gave such an order. Why didn't he tell me? Could we have saved it?"