Chapter 19 - A Wounded Palm (7)

Yvonne asked if she could accompany Bianca on her walk the next morning. Bianca nodded her head impulsively, thrown off by the sudden question, but a smile naturally rose on her face once she saw Yvonne smiling while commenting on how she hoped the weather tomorrow would be nice.

Once Yvonne left, Bianca busied herself with embroidery. However, she eventually found herself staring at the wooden frame in a daze. It was something she had started out of habit, and though it was halfway done, she found she could not make any further progress. She ultimately moved the messy embroidery frame out of the way. It wasn't like she'd make any progress even if she continued holding it anyway.

It had been a long time since she last went on a walk with someone. Bianca carefully placed a hand over her chest. It may have been due to the feeling of anticipation, but her heart was pounding.

Bianca recalled Yvonne's innocent eyes looking at her. She wondered what Yvonne was like in her past life, but realized she couldn't recall any memories of her. But that was to be expected. After all, the past Bianca considered maids as nothing more or less than passing tools.

Yvonne was likely to have been kind to her in the past as well. A person's nature wasn't something that could be easily changed, after all. However, Bianca's past self hadn't been able to recognize Yvonne's thoughtful kindness. If, by chance, she had noticed Yvonne's existence, would things have been different?

Bianca lightly shook her head. She had been too foolish and inexperienced to be able to see how precious each small encounter was. Even if there had been an opportunity for her to run into Yvonne in the past, Bianca wouldn't have even bothered to look at her properly.

Still, thanks to the things she had learned in her past life, the present Bianca was able to accept Yvonne's goodwill. It was just a suggestion for a walk, but it was something that never would have happened in the past. Whenever things like this occurred, a small smile of contentment fell on Bianca's lips as she felt assured that she was really living a second life.

Later that day, however, yet another event arose which had not occurred in her past life: Zachary coming to find her.

Zachary stood by the door stoically, while Bianca stared at him blankly, startled by his unexpected visit.

"Are you not going to permit me to step inside?"

"...No, please come in."

Once her permission was granted, Zachary strode through the door and into her chambers. The soles of his boots were clean, yet Bianca felt like she could see footprints left behind by his steps. He was as huge and intimidating as ever in her eyes. Her expression was calm, not wanting him to catch on to her fear of him, but she couldn't hide the involuntary trembling of her shoulders.

"Your hand. Please open it."

"......"

Bianca obediently splayed her palm at his assertive command. Bianca hated the way he spoke as if he was dealing with one of his subordinates. It was a blunt way of speaking, holding neither lip service nor sweet nothings. He was a man whose method of persuasion was using a sword. As such, his physical prowess was outstanding, but he lacked a smooth tongue. There was no particular reason for him to be good with words. At the very most, whatever smooth-talking ability he had was used to boost the morale of his troops.

Joy and displeasure weren't emotions Zachary displayed openly. Though that was a common trait in nobles, Zachary's placidity was on another level. He was a man resembling a very sharp sword. It was impossible to find a speck of emotion in him...

At least, that had certainly been the case until now.

"It still looks like burning charcoal. Why on earth did you refuse to call for the doctor?"