Ch.21

The next day, as planned, Zachary arrived. As expected, Bianca greeted him with the calmness he expected, but it was difficult to control her expression until she saw the people following him. Robert, Gaspard, and Sauveur. These were Zachary's three commanders.

Bianca blinked at the unexpected appearance. Since the escort is for nominal reasons, she thought it would be best to assign an ordinary knight, but these were the chief commanders. It was a completely unexpected outcome.

It seemed Bianca wasn't the only one taken aback by this situation. There was no soul in the commanders' faces. In this situation, Zachary was the only one who appeared normal. He nodded calmly and pointed to the three commanders behind him.

"They're all very talented. Please choose."

"...I don't think they are people who can waste their time as my escorts."

"Being your escort is not a waste of time."

Yes, it is. Bianca groaned to herself. She tried to get rid of the cumbersome watchdog, but Zachary didn't seem to have the slightest intention of backing down. Bianca took a deep breath and looked at the three commanders standing behind Zachary. They all hoped Bianca wouldn't choose them.

It seemed they were being dragged wherever she looked. You come to me with a face like that. Even persuasion doesn't seem right. Bianca chuckled bitterly at the desperate hostility.

Bianca's conjecture was correct.

Last night, Zachary hastily summoned the commanders. Faced with the sudden call order, the commanders left their duties and hurried to Zachary's office. Perhaps Aragon has attacked again. They had to form an army and leave immediately. They had just returned yesterday...! The unit commanders hurried, hoping it wasn't an expedition.

However, reality was more terrifying and embarrassing than news of an expedition.

It was about being the escort of their lady, the Countess of Arno! Sauveur burned his will to protest, saying, "What a ridiculous story," as soon as Zachary's cold gaze touched him. Gaspard, as always, had a stone-faced expression, and Robert, who was present when Bianca was punishing Ante, remained silent, realizing that this ridiculous situation was related to what had happened before.

While the remaining two kept their mouths shut, Sauveur was about to go mad. Does everyone understand this situation? His eyes looking at his colleagues conveyed that. But what to do? Sauveur looked Zachary in the eyes and growled.

"Why? After all, the lady just wanders around the castle."

"She was wandering around the castle, but that happened before."

Zachary's voice was calm, but it was clear he was displeased. Under his voice, the commanders nodded their heads in confusion. Robert, who was the only one aware of the situation, especially lowered his head. After all, it is true that the scandalous escort mission has something to do with the previous matter. Cold sweat was forming on Robert's well-groomed face.

The armrests of the chair Zachary sat on were carved as if the wolf's head, the symbol of the Arno family, would leap at any moment, and the backrest was covered with blue velvet. It was a comfortable and colorful chair. However, the person sitting on it seemed very uncomfortable. Zachary tapped the armrest with his finger.

"I don't leave the castle just to see that, Vincent."

"I will take strong measures against the servants to ensure it never happens again."

Vincent, who was diagonally positioned next to the three commanders, nodded. Gaspard and Sauveur looked at each other, not understanding the situation. Only Robert kept his gaze fixed on the ground. Sensing that Robert knew the truth, Sauveur nudged Robert in the side, but Robert remained silent and said nothing.

"He says a maid will accompany her. That's not reassuring."

Zachary's voice was languid, as if he was tired.

A maid accompanying the countess? The commanders furrowed their brows as they looked back to make sure they heard correctly. Bianca was always alone. She was a woman who seemed to seriously believe that only conversing with a maid would elevate them, and the closer they got to her, the lower their class would be.

But Zachary's words didn't end there. Without mentioning why Bianca needed an escort or how it was not a relief, he waved his hand and added that tomorrow the choice of escort would be made by Bianca, it was a dismissal order.

As they left the office, they sighed, not knowing who was the first to do so. It was only after they escaped Zachary's gaze that Sauveur and Gaspard learned what was happening through Robert. It was too late even to claim it was unfair. It was a relief that they knew why they got their asses kicked in the mud.

So this is what happened after all. Maybe two heads bigger than Bianca? The three tall men bowed their heads in front of Bianca, hoping she wouldn't choose them.

It wasn't easy for everyone to manage their facial expressions in an unfamiliar situation. Robert desperately tried to hide his dissatisfaction and worries, and Sauveur didn't even bother. Like a pig being led to the slaughter, Sauveur's face revealed the horror of the situation.

It was Gaspard who appeared "calm." Initially, Gaspard was slow to express emotions like shame and surprise, including joy and sadness. For the first time in their lives, Sauveur and Robert felt envy towards Gaspard's stoic expression.

While they waited for Bianca's choice, feeling as if they were awaiting their death sentence and swallowing their saliva, Yvonne, a maid, came to visit Bianca.

"Madam, it's time for a walk... Oh, I'm sorry, my lord!"

Yvonne, startled to find Zachary, immediately lowered her head. It was very rare for Zachary and Bianca to be together. Furthermore, three commanders were gathered here, and this wasn't even the lord's office. Why would they be in the countess's room? This was undoubtedly an unusual situation in many ways. A pulsating sound ran down Yvonne's neck and reached her ears.

Bianca smiled slightly at Yvonne's appearance. She was caught breathless among the four men pushing her into a terrible dilemma she didn't want to choose, but Yvonne's presence brought her relief. Bianca greeted Yvonne with a very friendly voice.

"It's alright, Yvonne. I'm running late. I'll go immediately, can you wait for a moment?"

"...yes."

Yvonne rolled her eyes and looked around the room. It was a situation she didn't objectively understand, but the atmosphere itself wasn't bad. Of course, two commanders seemed choked up, but... since Zachary and Bianca appeared calm, that was all. Worried that they might be discussing yesterday's matter with Bianca, Yvonne relaxed her heart.

Everyone was surprised by Yvonne's appearance. There was a maid speaking kindly to "that" Bianca! They noticed that Yvonne was the "maid" Zachary had mentioned yesterday. But what was even more surprising to them was that Bianca responded to the maid's words. Also, very sweetly and kindly. With a smile even!!

Bianca's smile was very weak, but it was enough to make the people around her feel alienated.

Startled, the commanders couldn't believe what they had seen, so their eyes widened. Normally, they wouldn't have even listened to what the maid said. But obviously, Bianca said, "It's alright." Have they ever heard her voice say "it's alright"? The three commanders shook their heads. Never.

Whether they were embarrassed or not, Bianca didn't know. Because she was also very embarrassed. Bringing the three commanders in front of her meant that Zachary had no intention of backing down. She would have to choose somehow. Yvonne was also waiting. If it was a problem that had to be addressed anyway, it was better to do it quickly. Bianca let out a small sigh and moistened her lips.

At that moment, there was an opponent who spoke a moment ahead of Bianca.

"Me."

The low voice had a deep echo like the strike of a hammer. Bianca looked at her opponent with her mouth agape. There stood a man, who had always had a gloomy expression on his face since he entered this room, resembling a mountain or a stone wall.

He still had an immutable face, as if it was carved into stone. However, if you looked closely, you would notice that his sun-tanned face was very slightly flushed. The rocky man, Gaspard, spoke slowly but clearly and firmly.

"I will be her escort."