A Taste Test

We say bye to Kim and wish her a happy holiday season, leaving as many of the keys behind. Then we head to the airport in his car.

"I think you'll like Florida" he mentions out of the blue.

"Really?"

"Yeah, it gets warm there, and there's more things to do there as well. Theme parks and stuff"

"Oh fun" I say, a hint of horror in my voice

"You ok?" he asks, frowning

"Yeah, fine. Should be great" I wave it off

"I'm sorry for not telling you about inviting my mum to Christmas as well. I thought you two could try again, especially since I want you in my life for good"

"It's fine, really. Christmas is supposed to be a family affair, and considering I'll be your wife, she'll be my mother in law, so it's only fair to see her as family too. I take it she's heard about some of my shit now"

"She has"

"From who?"

"Word gets around, even if it's not intentional"

I turn in my seat to face him directly. He's avoiding my stare. "Adam, who told her?"

"It doesn't matter" he shrugs, with a slight lip shake

"Was it you, or was it Jay mentioning my shit?"

"Just know, I tried to defend you"

"That asshole cunt!" I scream, kicking the dashboard. "Pull over"

"We're on the motorway, I can't"

"Pull the fuck over"

He indicates and puts on the hazard lights as he pulls over into the emergency lane.

Slamming the door and opening the trunk.

"What are you doing?" he yells out the driver window

"I need something out of my bag?"

"Can it wait?"

"Nope"

He rolls his eyes and starts tapping the steering wheel in clear frustration

I get back in the car after slamming the truck with force, with journal, pen, flask, cigarettes and lighter in hand.

"So that couldn't wait until the airport?" he laughs, turning the hazard lights off

"Adam, I need to unwind, especially if you want your mother and best friend to survive the holiday season with me"

"Ok, but open the window" he says in defeat, getting back onto the motorway

"Sure thing babe" I smile at him, winding down the window as I light up and open the journal

'I could hurt you like you hurt me. Not worth it. Not worth the energy. Put through the ringer, you showed no mercy. I see who you are, not going to mess with my head anymore. Could make you suffer like I did. I'm unbreakable'

'I need to unwind. Swallow my fears in a bottle made of silver. Troubled, brilliant, funny, miserable. Can't remember anything'

'Funny how your lip shakes when you lie, it comforts me, but I'm tired'

We get to the airport with about an hour to spare and the check in lobby area is packed.

"Christmas travel is the worst" Adam sighs