Valentines Day

The weeks leading to Valentine's Day were a blur at work. Files piled the desks, phones were ringing and new clients packed the waiting room. Nobody was allowed time off, nor time to sleep, eat or piss. Early mornings and late nights. This was the time of the year. And we found more women than men used the service at this time of year too, hoping for that perfect date, to be spoilt to their heart's content. Stupid fairytale holiday.

"Got 13 to 16 off x" Jay texts, making me smile

"You planning anything for Valentine's Day?" Adam asks Jay on the drive to Chicago

"Don't know yet. You doing anything with Alyssa?" Jay replies

"Just a date at Mondos. Keep it simple"

"That's a nice place. What'd you do when you were, you know?"

"You can say her name. We aren't together anymore"

"Don't worry about it, I'll think of something"

"I'm sure you will. I took her to Niagara Falls for the day, if you must know"

Jay gives a tight smile.

"She told me she loved me on that day too" Adam continues, reminiscing, his eyes glazed as he tries to focus on the road, "I'm sure whatever you do, she'll love it, as much as she hates the day"

"She doesn't hate the day" Jay laughs

"She does. Hallmark holiday"

Jay sighs, staring out the window. He actually has the whole day planned, he planned it before they got together. He can't tell Adam that.

"Hey Jay, Zoe's still at work" Kim greets, opening the door to Jay on the 13th of February

"Hey Kim. I figured, but know it's busy for her at the moment, don't want to disturb her" Jay shrugs at the front door, bag in hand

"Good call on that, she has been working late. Come in, can I get you anything?"

"Nah, all good. How you been, how's life?"

"Fine, starting a new job in a couple of weeks, just finishing off the current one at the moment. John was cheating on me, so broke that off"

"Congratulations on the new job, sucks about John"

"How you been?" Kim asks, pouring herself a cup of coffee

"Same old. Events are picking up"

"I've noticed"

"How are things here?" Jay asks, frowning, seeing multiple booze bottles and stubbed out cigarettes around the place

"Things will be better later, the busy season is the worst. She works over twelve hours a day, gets home, has a single bite to eat then smokes and drinks, passing out on the sofa to do it again the next day. She isn't well. She is going to love that you're are here though. You sure you don't want a drink or something to eat?"

"I'm fine" Jay smiles, "if I could be here more, I would"

"You could just move" Kim shrugs

Jay laughs at the notion before thinking about the idea. He could just move, he's done it already. He's here as much as he is Florida. "That's actually not a crazy idea"

"I was kidding"

"Of course" Jay laughs off, "any plans for tomorrow?" he asks, moving the conversation to a different topic

"No, might head to a club. I'm sure you have something amazing planned"

"I have a few things up my sleeve"