Glorious Wankers

"You called them wankers" Kim laughs, looking through the magazine once I got back from the trip about a week later, as we catch up at one of the local cafes

"Glorious wankers, there's a difference" I laugh, sipping on my tea as I tap the ash from my cigarette

"Not much though. Why do they think you're married?"

"Adam made the reservation and Rebecca caught wind of the name it was under, used her big mouth around the company. The wedding still isn't until November. Was fun playing that role though, people calling me Mrs Copeland"

"Mrs Copeland. That does not roll off the tongue well"

I slap her arm as she goes back reading the page 6 article. "Did they zoom in on the jewellery?"

"Yeah they got a good look at it all"

"Good, Raphael will be happy"

"Your mum will be calling"

"Why?"

"You know she subscribed to this, she's going to have a ball with you"

"Then let her. I'm happy with how it's turned out"

"You dropped a bombshell during the gala whilst you played the role of wife"

I laugh as I blow smoke to the sky. "It was fun. You should be proud of me, I'm finally taking charge of my life"

"Whilst destroying a company"

"That promises people the world and sells them fake hope. I'm in the business of dreams"

"When you belong in nightmares"

I slap her arm again. "I'm Jovi Nightmare"

She laughs to herself and puts the magazine down.

As predicted, there is a voice message from mother when I get home. Might as well face the devil.

"Good evening mother" I greet as she picks up the phone on the other side of the world

"It's morning here" she sighs. I had gotten ever used to that sigh of disappointment throughout my childhood

"Well I'm not going to say morning when I haven't gone to bed yet, am I? I got your message"

"You put on quite a show"

"You should be proud"

She laughs, once. "You destroyed yourself and the company within a single speech"

"It wasn't that bad" I laugh back, "at least I looked good doing it"

"Hmm"

Oh yes, the one thing that she could never admit. Amongst other things about me, she would never say I looked acceptable.

"Black is not your colour"

"Black is a shade and everyone suits it" I argue

"You look tired"

"You would too if you were carrying a billion dollar company, only to be their admin lady for years, then to take what is rightfully yours"

"Why are you leaving?"

"To be happy, and why do you care. I've already made up my mind"

"Clearly"

I can hear her disapproval and her sipping onto her second cup of coffee. I take a deep breath, there is no pleasing her so why bother. "It's fine mother. Are you still coming over for the wedding?"