Habitual Addiction PT2 (Maddie)

"Wake up." You hear a gruff, sleepy voice. Naturally, you ignore it. Anyone saying to get up shouldn't be heard. "Come on, you have to get up." You grunt. "Y/n," they poke your face, and without opening your eyes, you try to bite them. "Hey! Watch it! Who knows what kinda diseases you've got?"

"Mh." You nestle into the neck of whomever you've been beside all night. "Sleep." That's the only word you can get out of your mouth. It's far too early.

"I know. I feel the same way, but if we don't get back soon, Mom and Dad will be worried."

You go to scoot back, forgetting that you've been in a tree all night. Before you fall, an arm wraps around your waist. Finally, you open your eyes, and see Shikamaru. That's when memories of the night before come flooding back. Why did you accept him? Why have you decided to be his girlfriend? Are you insane? What sense could this possibly make? You've never liked him. He's always driven you crazy.

Yet, as your eyes make contact with his, you can't help but feel completely different about him. You've always been a sucker for pretty eyes, and his are just gorgeous. A blush creeps onto your face, and he pulls you back into the tree beside him. His arms are lean, though you would never expect that from such a lazy boy.

"Careful, there." He says. "I don't need you falling and bruising your behind."

"I'll be fine." You're not sure how you got that phrase out without stuttering, but you did.

"C'mon. Don't be stubborn. Now let's go. We've been out all night and I'm sure they're worried."

"Realistically speaking, we should've gone straight home." You sit yourself up, so he lets go off you. Part of you misses the warmth of his fingers clenched around your waist.

"We should have, but it would've been way late, and then you'd have to deal with endless questions from my mom. And I don't know about you, but that just sounds like a drag to me."

"You think everything is a drag."

"That's because most things are." He jumps from the tree, and suddenly, we realize how far up you are. You're face flushes. "Don't tell me you're scared to climb down." There's amusement hidden in his voice, but you recognize it.

"What? No. I'm not scared. Since when have you ever seen me scared?"

"Right now. Do I need to come up there and get you?"

"No! You don't!"

"Then jump on down."

"Why don't we go back to sleep? I'm still tired." He chuckles, but begins climbing the tree. He transfers his chakra to his feet, so he can climb straight up as if he's walking, not using his hands in the slightest. "You jerk. With your shinobi chakra control skills and your stupidly abilities to climb trees and-" He picks you up, and you start screaming. "PUT ME DOWN!!! YOU'LL DROP ME!!!!"

"Calm down. I won't drop you."

"How can you can that for sure?" You're holding onto him tightly, and he finds it amusing.

"Because I'm not a clumsy fool." By the time he finishes his statement, he's climbed down from the tree and it putting you back on the ground. "See? I didn't drop you."

"But there was still a risk."

"Risk or not, you're fine. Now come on."

He slings his arm around your shoulder and you two walk toward his house. Inwardly, you sigh at yourself. It's technically my home, too, but it's just so hard to get into that mindset. I want to think of it as home, but... You look back from the corner of your eye, and feel as if you just don't want to separate just yet.