Battle with Hamadryads Pt. II

(I will be posting an author's note today at some point)

Eleanor Leywin

I stood behind the Wraiths as they shot forward into a wave of vines, they were swallowed up by them in seconds, getting killed left and right. I knew they used to be our enemies, but right now, I needed to help them.

I didn't want to, it was a weird feeling, fighting with the people you were just at war with not even two years ago. I know they are loyal to Veer, so that's why I didn't mind, I knew they wouldn't turn on me, it wouldn't do them any good.

I wasn't loyal to my dickhead brother, but I still wanted to protect the people of Dicathen, and fighting here in Alacrya, in this Dominion of Etril was the way to do that. We needed to hold the hamadryads off here so they couldn't get further into the continent and wipe us all out.

I felt for the mana in the ground around me, not earth mana, but the pure mana, I wanted it all. I was going to show this world what I could do now thanks to Kordri, Cyrlit, and Seris. I've been absorbing mana from those horns and training hard to master a new fighting style, a fighting style Kordri thought would be perfect for me. A way to keep people at a distance, but still using the new and strong abilities that I possessed.

I started conjuring mana spikes in front of the Wraiths, pushing them in the direction of the asuras heading our way. I fought in the back, so I was protected, away from any hand to hand combat, something that wasn't really my strong point, even though Kordri helped train me with it.

Seris and Cylrit were fighting alongside one another, with Wraiths, struggling a little, I could see it, but I helped them as well, watching their back as I conjured spell after spell, growing mana spikes out of the ground to impale and cut these hamadryads when I could.

I hadn't really killed anyone yet, the hamadryads were a lot faster than I imagined, not faster than Kordri, he was on a whole other level, but they were fast. I could see that Seris and Cylrit couldn't really keep up with them, which was to be expected. I was doing my best to keep them alive when I could, but I couldn't stop them from getting hit and slashed by the vines in certain situations.

As I was conjuring these mana spikes, I felt for the mana above me, conjuring soulfire arrows in the process, performing both spells at once. When those arrows were done, I let them loose over the heads of the Wraiths, letting them connect when they could with the hamadryads.

I felt a couple of them hit, draining the mana within them when they did, not killing, well, actually I felt an arrow enter the eye socket of one of them, it was pure luck, but I had killed them, I felt it.

My heart was racing, this was intense, the screams and shouts of the mades in front of me, these Wraiths weren't like me, they were half-breeds, I was a full blooded asura, I was able to see that. I was stronger than them, I knew it, could I defeat them in a fight, I don't know, but one on one, I knew I was capable of killing them.

I continued to let my spells fly, knowing that anything I did would help us in the long run. It was weird calling us, us, but it was the truth. I shook my head and concentrated on the fight ahead. The hamadryads, even though they didn't outnumber us, and were taking losses, were driving into our force further and further with every second.

They were getting closer to me, even as I stood there, surrounded by Wraiths, I could see a hamadryad not further than twenty yards from me, slicing through with a blade of vines in each hand. He was scary looking, but it wasn't going to affect me, I was going to target him, concentrate my mana spikes on killing him.