A Slim, Slim, Chance

"Thank Veer." She said, nodding her head. "There are a lot of other small things to talk about, the future, but for now, we should talk about why I moved Virion to the lab." She looked at Cassandra, the two exchanged a weird look, one I couldn't really read. "Thing is, Virion planned to die, he thought he needed to die to get rid of the curse or spell Agrona put on him."

"Yeah, I want to know more about that." I said, looking at the two, but as I went to speak some more, Melody held up a hand to me, silencing me, not with words, or even the hand really, it was the look on her face.

"Virion, Arthur, he isn't dead yet." Melody said, and Sylvie and I stared at her, waiting for her to continue with this sentence, explaining what it means. "Like I said, he knew he would die, or had to die, of course that little guy has a plan for everything, even death."

"Of course, it isn't a given." Cassandra told us. "He explicitly told the two of us that it most likely wouldn't work, but in the case he does die, to place his body in the lab, and to talk to you." She wasn't looking at me. "Sylvie." 

"W-what?" My bond spoke for the first time, looking at her with hope, restoring her life it felt like. "What do you mean? I'll do whatever it takes, anything, I'll do it." She was desperate, but to me, in my eyes, Cassandra and Melody didn't seem confident about this plan.

"Hold on." Melody told her, then pulled out a ring. "This isn't a mana ring, it's an artifact, an artifact Veer made in the lab, his clones." She rolled her eyes at the mention of clones. "The only person who can activate it is you." She paused, placing the ring on the table, not giving it to Sylvie yet. "But I'm not supposed to let you use it until you go downstairs."

"Not yet though." Cassandra interrupted. "You need to know that whatever is on this, Veer wanted us to tell you beforehand, that he loved you, and that Selena, she was never a replacement, he only ever had passion and love for you."

Sylvie started to cry again, and the room fell silent besides her tears. I felt bad for her, I mean, I felt bad now, it still hurt, every second, every fucking passing second it hurt me to know that I hated Veer for everything he did before he died.

"This ring will explain it all." Melody looked down at it. "There's a slim, slim, chance that he can return, but that's why we are talking now." She looked back at me. "So, I can tell you what needs to be done if this doesn't work, which, I'm sorry to say it, I don't think it will."

I wanted to snap at her, giving us hope, then taking it right away, but it was Cassandra who did that, not snap, but explain. "All Melody is saying, it's not that you shouldn't believe that he can come back, but you shouldn't think that he will for sure." She said, looking at her sister for a second, then back to us. "Whatever it is, Virion kept it a secret from everyone except Sylvie, not even Hades knew what he was planning."

"I don't know what you mean?" Sylvie said in a somewhat confused tone. "He kept it a secret? So, is it like, in the ring or something?" Melody smiled, a real one, but she was still clearly sad, which was understandable.

"He did and he didn't." Melody said with an amused tone, thinking about Virion. "You'll see, that's all I can tell you, Sylvie." I could see that my bond was curious, really curious about the ring. "Don't expect much, but, knowing Virion, there's a high chance, whatever is in this ring, it's going to shake up the world."

"If it works." I said, and they nodded. "Well, I mean, I know my brother, and from what I found out today, all this planning, all these plans within plans within plans, whatever it is, there's a good chance it works." I paused and thought about it, then shook my head. "I just, you know, don't want to get my hopes up like you said."