Back to it

I stood across Tessia in the middle of an open field behind the palace, there were walls around us in pretty much every direction, but they weren't really close, at least a hundred yards, giving us enough space to fight.

Sylvie was here as well, watching from the side, Regis was with the kids, asleep on the bed. This was going to be fun; Tessia finally can stretch her legs again on the battlefield. I didn't like the idea of her fighting against the asuras, but she should still know how to defend herself, which she does, she just needs to get back on the saddle.

"Are you ready?" I asked, standing across from the white core mage, Tessia has gotten quite strong over the years, the pregnancy obviously stunted her growth, but she was still white core, there was nothing that could change that.

"Yes." She said, drawing her sword and augmenting it with wind mana, plants started to grow around her as she started to use her Beast Will's element, but she didn't go into phase two, I told her not to for today. "Are you?"

I smirked at her words, and she shot at me, pushing wind out of her back, appearing before me. I side stepped her first strike, then her next, god stepped around her and kicked my wife in the back, sending her forward.

"Come on." I said with a smug look on my face, trying to anger her slightly, but she only smiled as she turned back to face me. I conjured an aether blade, preparing to engage her just a little, trying to make her feel like I tried.

She shot at me, I dodged her blade, swung my own, forcing her to duck under it. Tessia went to kick my knees out, but I god stepped away, then conjured an ice shard and pushed it her way. She brought forth a wind wall and sent my spell flying away from her, then plants shot at me, growing out of the ground at a rapid pace towards me.

I sliced through the first couple, then pushed fire out of my feet to burn the rest, but they kept coming, and through the vines, I could see a smiling Tessia, having fun while she sparred with me. I god stepped around them, appearing by her side as she was smiling, causing her to jump slightly.

"Keep your head on a swivel." I told her, sending my foot into her side, knocking her down, she squinted her face in pain, but got back up to her feet as I backed away. "I can clearly see that you are rusty, maybe it would be best if your sparred with my sister."

"No." Tessia said, shaking her head as she spun the sword in her hand, preparing to go at me once again. "I want to spar with you, Arthur, you are basically an asura, so it's good practice if it ever comes to it." I rolled my eyes. "What? If they come, I may have to fight them, this is why I wanted to spar."

"I understand." I said, not planning on arguing with her, it was the same thinking I had, just a little different. "Then come at me." I motioned for her to begin again, and she did, shooting at me as fast as she can.

Her sword came up at my face, I dodged it, she swung again, then again, forcing me backwards. I could counter or parry her blows, but I was just letting her attack, letting her stretch out. I could see Sylvie watching with a smile on her face to the side, the sight of this probably brought back a lot of memories, it sure did for me.

I remember sparring with her at the Eraltih palace, on the training grounds with gramps....

I hesitated for a moment, but Tessia still missed me as I took a step back, this close call though gave Tessia hope and confidence as she swung again and again. I just kept backing away from her, she wasn't using plant magic, which was surprising me, but I did say to take it slow.

I sent a kick into her stomach, she side stepped the attack, moving a little quicker this time, then brought her sword down on my leg. I god stepped away, then shot a fire blast at her, a light one, and as she rolled out of the way, she shot a wind blade at me that was hit with my own, destroying the spells.