Be smart

Nyx just moped her way through the next day.
Alysha just bitched her way through the next day.

Both of them were feeling the effect of last night's quarrel.

It felt empty, achy even. Physically exhausted.

And yet somehow it also felt good.

Like a small victory to herself, like she'd taken something back. She'd taken control, that's what it was. She'd taken control of herself, and it was good.

And not so good.

What it was, was confusing.

She didn't know how to feel, how to react, how to think.

Should she talk to him? Probably not yet. But she couldn't just not talk to him, not ever.

Why was life so hard?

As she walked towards her mother's hospital ward, Abby in her arms, she couldn't help but think about it, endlessly, on loop.

To be fair, it was probably for the best.
Though she couldn't quite remember why that would be.

She pushed open the door to Rachel's ward, fixing a smile onto her face as she saw her mother, lying in the bed. "Hi, mummy bird."

"Hi, baby bird."
Abby waved her hands wildly, shrieking at the top of her lungs. Rachel chuckled. "And hello to you too, little chick! So, how have your day's been."
Nyx groaned. "Oh God, just don't ask."
"Huh, that bad. Was it... you know... Alysha?"
"Some of it."

Rachel's face went serious. "Nyx, I'm not joking, I think you need to see someone about her. I mean... uh, I just don't know what to say, but... sweetheart, you can see how not normal it is, right?"
Nyx shrugged. "When have I ever been normal? Normal's an offensive term in my dictionary."

"Yes, well, danger is an offensive term in mine. So, just be smart about it, okay?"

Thought I'd published this yesterday. Oops!