Nightmarish

Maddie had one goal, and that was to find Nyx and inform her of her mother's condition.

Nyx didn't yet know about Rachel being infected, and Maddie dreaded telling her, but there was no other choice. It was Nyx's right to know.

Concentrating hard, she wandered through the ethereal in between space between the mirror glass, which she could never be sure if it was real or just something her brain had created to fill the nothingness she was now a part of.
Maddie liked to think of it as some kind of limbo, a place between both life and death.

The way to get anywhere was pretty simple in concept, and much more difficult in reality.

You had to focus, really focus, on whatever, wherever or whoever you were trying to see. Then you had to walk. Still focusing, and just walk, until eventually something almost like a window would open up, and hey presto, you were in someone's mirror/ window/ metal spoon/ nearest reflective surface, hijacking their reflection to her needs.

And now, she just focused on Nyx. Thought of Nyx. Finding Nyx.

And she walked, through the ghostly mist, eyes straining for any sign of a window.

Until suddenly, the light shifted,and a second later, the floor beneath her foot squished in a gross fashion, like the land around a bog.

Well, this was new.

It was a bog, or like a bog, but only the kind of swampy land you expected to find in a fairy tale, and not one of the nice Disney ones.
One of the nightmarish, horrific tales of bygone days, full of darkness and fear.

The place seemed almost unreal, delicate like an illusion.
But what was real enough, was the sobbing.