Chapter 30 🌨

بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيم

Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu•

_________

The afternoon was too silent and it was a bit disconcerting as she was usually surrounded by someone or the other training her at this time. The cool breeze gently swayed the branches of the dimly lit trees and the sun peeked from time to time through the clouds. It drizzled at times but didn't rain. She loved the weather. The day would have been perfect if she could just do what she had come outisde for.

Sidra missed her mark again and sighed in discontent. She had tried her best and yet something was wrong with her aim. Her aim refused to cooperate. It was the fifteenth night of the Ramadan and she had quietly settled into her routine for the month of fasting but today had been different. Ajdaan had left for his tribe some weeks ago and Vareesha was sent to various places for news. Zainab was busy in her ibadah and would usually take classes only after isha. Kaamla had increased the amount of things she taught her and happy as she was with her progress in healing, it was still tiring. Yet, Sidra took it all without a word.

She nocked an arrow again and took aim, only to miss once more. She didn't know what was wrong with her. She was a good archer. She had not missed an aim in weeks and today she couldn't seem to hit the target at all. She was frustrated and felt sick. Dropping the bow at her feet, she lowered herself on her knees and covered her face with both her hands, breathing deeply. She was feeling all out of sorts today. Maybe it was due to the weakness she felt in her limbs or maybe it had something to do with her lurching, restless heart. She didn't seem to understand. She had been missing her sister terribly.

"Sitting on the ground, weak and defeated!" She heard a strong voice call out and raised her head to come face to face with a woman. She was a graceful woman who seemed to be in her mid thirties. Her hair was covered with a veil draped in a fashion that could allow free movement. Her dark maroon gown billowed in the wind. She was tall and there was no doubt that she was a tribal too. Her eyes were two pools of fire and her lips were raised up in a mocking smirk. Sidra frowned as she continued to speak, "A very sorry sight you make for a future queen. If your subjects saw you now, they would reject you right away. I don't know what everyone here sees in you! I don't know what Ajdaan sees in you but mark my words when I say that you do not impress me with the sorry state you display. Muntaha could have done better. But who am I to object?"

Behind the woman Ajdaan stood stiffly, a tinge of helplessness in his usually fierce form. He was apologetic without even showing it. Sidra could see it though. She wondered who the woman was. She must have been very important to him if he felt this helpless in the face of her anger. And beside Ajdaan stood Hudhud, who was calm as usual. But in his eyes was the ever observing glint that told her he wanted to see her face this, he wanted to watch the way she responds to the taunts. Hudhud wasn't testing just Sidra today, by remaining quiet when he could easily put a stop to the unwanted face off, he was testing Sidratul Muntaha, Jibreel's queen, and she wouldn't disappoint her beloved's name attached to hers as it was.

"Assalamualaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu!" Sidra said as she stood up silently. And as she stood, Hudhud and Ajdaan straightened in shock as Sidra seemed to transform right before their eyes. Sidra remained easy most of the times but there were moments she could silence even the most ferocious amongst them. This was one of those moments. Without saying a word, she had responded to the taunts. Because standing before them was a graceful queen, bleeding regality with every exhale. Her mirror eyes shone with a fire that had silenced the very woman that could bring Ajdaan to his knees, the renowned bride and love of Ajdaan, Reem. The beloved daughter of the tribe of Sif, the fiery bride of the tribe of Zawwar. "You seem to know Muntaha."