B I R T H D A Y | P R E S E N T

(Y/n)'s P.O.V

I hauled all remaining scarlet eyes for myself, hogging them from Kurapika.

It costed me a fortune— The whole operation that is... but fear no more because I was lucky enough to have Pariston spend his riches. Let's say, it's to make up for me in those past years... and for lying to all of us.

I wouldn't say, I'm okay. I still feel sh*t.

It was like consuming a pungent bitter juice... I just have to get used to the awful taste of life day after day.

Before I knew, a month elapsed.

My uncle was as dotting as ever. Also, I moved in his mansion. I actually intend to get Caren but that sweet child prefers to accompany our mother.

Life goes the way it is. It just sucked when you learned things could get a lot worser than your current f*cked up situation.

I graduated from college a week ago so I'm immersed in working with the mafias. It wasn't a good career plan, but I needed it.

"I wonder what he's doing?" I went for my computer, spying Kurapika through the micro devices I personally plotted from before.

He doesn't have any idea I could watch him anytime.

He doesn't have the slightest clue I was the culprit spoiling all his plans all along...

"Mhhn... he's not home."

He's completely in the palm of my hand... that's what I hope.

The way he sleeps, changes clothes, and moves around with habits.... I see it all. Sometimes, I even catch his worst times— the moments where he arrives with blood stained hands and clothes. The gentle guy I knew before was buried underneath the current him.

Everytime I witness his worsening condition, the wounds of my heart throbbed.

"(Y/n)! Let's go now!~"

I immediately closed the computer.

Neon prances in and out of my office every single time, snatching me whenever she feels to.

"Miss Neon, you're supposed to have meeting by the afternoon. We can't—" Her pitiful assistant was shrugged again.

"No! Can't I breathe for a while?~" She jumps around in a paddy mood.

"Please have some pity on your assistant." =.=

"Eh? She doesn't need that.. She's too great. She handles everything for me~"

"Exactly—" she doesn't get it does she?

"You really act like Kurapika." She pats my shoulders repeatedly. "You're a girl so loosen up. You were a lot adorable back then."

She definitely has taken a liking on me. I didn't expect we'd have a stable relationship.

"Well, you're still the same as before." I brought her clingy hands down.

"Thanks!~"

It's not a compliment tho. Now I feel Kurapika's struggle as her personal guard.

"Boss, please don't take it offensive, but if you don't straighten up, I'll discipline you myself. It's for the Nostrade's future after all." I smirked, bearing teeth.

I guess I got a little taller since I can loom over her just like this.

"What's wrong?" I lifted her chin, gazing deep in those teal eyes. "Miss Neon is the prettiest so don't get yourself in trouble like before." Rumours got to me... saying she was targeted by Chrollo in the past..

She was struck by my heavy personality.

"Y-you're just a k-kid." Her words were fumbled as she began to pout.

"Just listen and let me protect you."

Damn, that was a cool line. I always wanted to say some heroic lines or something.

"I... I'll see you later!" She dashes away.

What's she flustered for?

*ring~* *ring~*

I returned to my desk, reaching my phone.

"Ah yes?"

"(Y/n), Happy 20th birthday!! let's get some dinner toge—"

I abruptly disconnected the call.

=_= 

I overlooked my birthday ...? I scan the calendar.

. . . . .

I'm. An. Adult. Now.

*ring~* *ring~*

*ring~* RIIIIIIIINNGG~*

"What?! If this is just some random—"

"Sorry~ It isn't actually."

"You should've stated the important part instead."

"Don't be too harsh on your uncle~"

I deadpanned. I know I already welcomed his apologies but... I find hard to bring affection towards him. We're at the point where it's awkward to act like a family.

"I have a gift for you, you know."

"Oh.. Then you could give it to me later.."

"I just captured the whole troupe just for my adorable niece—"

"........... I'm on my way!"

To be continued...