💫 1.58

The air held a sullen and dull aroma to it as the clock struck 5am.

Renjun and Jihyun barely had any sleep, but they didn't mind, for they would rather trade a thousand sleepless nights to spend with each other.

Jeno and Jihyun were in the kitchen preparing breakfast, while Renjun sat next to Jisung at the breakfast bar.

Jisung had his head in his hands as he rubbed sleepily at his eyes.
"I hate waking up early," he mumbled and Renjun smiled, pinching his cheek softly earning a groan from the younger boy.

"You're too cute," Renjun chuckled at him, watching as his head drops to lay on his arms- hoodie covering his head.

"So Renjun," Jeno spoke bringing the boys gaze away from Jisung.
"Today's the day? How do you feel?"

Renjun looked towards Jihyun as he sighed, eyes dropping as he watches her sad facial expressions.
"Shit, I don't want to go."

His words stayed in the air and Jihyun left her position of flipping pancakes to come to Renjuns side. He brings her into a hug- head leaning on her stomach as she runs her fingers through his hair.

The room stays silent as the two soulmates release the sparks and dopamine that comes from connection and touch- but sadness still washes over them as the reality comes flooding down on them. In a meet two hours, they will once again be separated.

"I don't want you to go either Hyung," Jisung said abruptly lifting his head up and pouting towards the elder.

"It won't be long Jisung, I'll see if I can talk to my dad, maybe he could do something about this."

Jihyun placed a hand on Renjuns cheek making him look up to her, "hunny I don't think your dad has that sort of power to do anything about it. It's not like he's one of the moon guardians," Jihyun said and Jeno laughed,"they don't exist anymore."

Renjuns eye brows furrowed as he looked around the room, "what do you mean they don't exist?" He asked, pure confusion written on his face as he watches the other attentively.

"They don't exist, everyone knows that," Jeno chipped in and Renjun leant out of Jihyuns hold.

"Yeah they do."
"No they don't hyung, we've been told for years that they were just a myth," Jisung said.

Renjun scoffed, looking down as he could only imagine what else they were taught about the moon.

"Wait, do you think they exist?" Jihyun asked, eye brows furrowed as she gazes at Renjun.

His mouth dry and he nodded his head, "I don't know what they've been telling you, but they are real."

"You can't be serious..."
"Of course they are real! I don't know why they wouldn't teach you about the moon guardians, considering my dad is one."

All their eyes widened at the words the moon boy had just said.
"Wait what?" Jeno spoke tilting his head.

"They're real?" Jisungs eyes widened as he looked out the window, hand coming up to mask his mouth.

"Your dads a moon guardian?" Jihyun asked and Renjun nodded.

"He was chosen when I was a child and I barely ever see him... what the hell are they teaching you here?!" Renjun couldn't fathom the fact that the pure balance and laws and rules made for the Moon was a subject many believed were a simple myth, fiction, false information.

His father, who had worked almost everyday of the year was a simple legend to the Earth, if only the people on the moon knew.

"I thought you would've known Jihyun, considering your father is from the moon," Renjun looked towards her and her lips formed a straight line.

"When he permanently moved here he must've been told that he couldn't talk about it. Come to think of it he did always do this thing when he was talking about the moon he'd stop abruptly and mum would give him a glare," she vocalised her thoughts and Renjuns mouth dropped.

"So if they are real, what do they do then?" Jeno asked, flipping the last pancake and putting it onto a plate.

"Pretty much everything, the are the balance between your world and mine-" Renjun was cut off by the static sound of the TV in the lounge room.

All their heads flicked towards the room where they saw Jenos mother holding the remote.

"Sorry," she said, placing the remote down and leaving the TV on, "I didn't mean to disturb."

The sound of the news filled the house as their attention is all drawn towards the TV.

"Massive crowds pile around the building that contains non other than the portal to the moon. Individuals coming together to protest on segregating the moon people and sending them back to their planet. People are also protesting about supernatural powers, believing and saying into the world that they do not belong and should join the "aliens" back on the moon. Evidently closing the portal forever-" the sound of the  TV turned off automatically.

The three boys looked towards Jihyun whose eyes were trained on the remote- using her powers to turn the TV off.

The four all turn to each other, eyes wide at the news they have just heard.

"That's not good..."

—————

I graduated a year ago today... that's crazy