Chapter 47 ~ The Grand Feast

Merlin and I go sprinting through the courtyard up the stairs into the castle. We run up more stairs. We quickly duck and cover while some servants lift some decorations. There is going to be a big feast tonight. Merlin and I are trying to find Arthur's shirt.

"Sorry!" Merlin exclaims.

Merlin and I head into the kitchen, dodging staff members on the way. A man with a box crashes into me; I almost fall over. Merlin grabs me and steadies me.

"You good?" 

I nod. We continue walking, a woman with a plate of bread walks past. Merlin grabs two pieces and hands me one as soon as we grab one, the cook. Who isn't a big fan of us comes to us. We hide the bread behind our backs.

She points a ladle at us, "What are you two doing in my kitchen?"

"Uh..." Merlin says, looking at me.

"The prince's shirt," I say.

She points the ladle at something behind us, Merlin and I spin around and see Arthur's shirt hanging up.

"Keep your dirty fingers off my food. Do you understand?" The cook says to us.

Merlin and I walk over to the shirt. Merlin grabs the shirt; Merlin begins to walk away when I see a hook lower toward the chicken. I grab Merlin and point at the hook; we follow the string up and see Gwaine and Percival. Gwaine holds his finger to his mouth. Merlin and I chuckle. I attach the chicken to the string and pull it gently.

"Go, go," I say. Merlin and I quickly run off as they pull it up.

"Oi!" The cook shouts.

Merlin and I laugh and continue out the kitchen. 

The castle is crowded. We dodge servants,  a servant with wine crashing into Merlin; he drops the shirt. Merlin glares at the servant as he walks away. I bend down and grab the shirt; it is covered in wine. I hold it up to Merlin; he looks down and sighs.

"You can try a bit of salt." I lower the shirt and see Lancelot. Merlin grabs my hand and pulls me up.

"Arthur is going to kill us," Merlin says.

Lancelot walks over to us, "Let's see," He looks at the shirt, then looks at us, "You've faced far worse, Merlin and Liv."

He starts walking.

"He needs it for tonight," I say, turning to him.

He turns and shrugs, "I'm sure someone of your talents can think of something."  Lancelot continues walking.

I look around, making sure we're safe for now. I hear Merlin whisper, "Fordwin wamm."

Lancelot looks back at us, and I hold the now clean shirt up to him. He holds his hands up then walks off. Merlin and I continue down the passage with me holding the shirt now. We jog into Arthur's room and see him fully dressed and resting on the table.

"You're dressed," Merlin says in shock.

"Yes, Merlin. I'm not an idiot." Arthur turns his back to us and walks to the chair; Merlin and I chuckle. Part of Arthur's shirt is tucked in, showing a bit of his back.

"Are you sure about that?" I ask.

"I beg your pardon?" Arthur asks, looking at me. Then he sits down at the table.

"It's just..." I begin.

"It's just that..." Merlin says.

"Merlin, Liv, I am trying to write a speech," Arthur says.