Chapter 85 - The true king

After we all settle down, Merlin and I walk over to Arthur. He's leaning against the tree, staring at the fire. I sit down next to him, and Merlin sits down next to me. 
"Come on. I'll take first watch," Merlin says. I look over to Arthur, somethings wrong. I move my hand over to his and grab it.  He squeezes my hand.
"Arthur, what's wrong?" I ask. He doesn't answer me. I look at Merlin 
"Don't listen to Tristan. He doesn't know you." Merlin says in an attempt to reassure Arthur.
Arthur looks at us, "I trusted the wrong people." Arthur is blaming himself for everything that has happened. 
"They betrayed you. That wasn't your fault." Merlin says.
Arthur looks back at the fire. "No, I was a fool. I misjudged everyone. My uncle. Morgana. Every decision I've made has been wrong."
"You're being too hard on yourself," I say. "None of this is your fault."
"I appreciate that, but I should be more discerning, wise." He says, " A statesman, a king—Tristan's right. There's nothing special about me. I'm just like everyone else." 
Merlin sits up and looks at him. "That is not true. You're a worthy king."
"I'm good with a sword." Arthur states. "That's all."
"Yes, that is true. But you are also compassionate and care about your people. They love you." I say. "Arthur, they will follow you anywhere."
"Most of them are dead, thanks to me." He says.
"No. Most of them escaped. And they'll be here in the forest. I'm sure of that." Merlin says.
"If they are, they'll have to find themselves a new king," Arthur says. Merlin and I look at Arthur. He kisses my cheek, then stands and walks off.
"Arthur..." I look at Merlin; he is watching Arthur walk off.

Merlin and I quickly slip out into the forest.  Merlin calls the dragon; we stop at a clearing, and the dragon lands in front of us.
"Well, thank you. You saved us all." Merlin says. 
"The land of Albion... and the future we have all fought for was in peril." The dragon states.
I look down at the floor. "What is troubling you, young witch?"
I look up at him, "Arthur. He's lost the will to fight. He thinks he's failed. He feels he doesn't deserve to be king."
"The fate of Camelot rests in your hands. For you, and you two alone. Can restore the king's faith." The dragon says. He still speaks in riddles. Of course.
"How?" Merlin asks.
"You must make him believe that he can be king once more." He says.
"Great, thanks very helpful," I say.
"I wish I could be of more help." The dragon says.
Merlin looks up, "No. I know-how. The people who fled Camelot-- do you know where they're hiding?" Merlin asks.
"I am a dragon; I can cover many leagues in the blink of an eye. They shouldn't be too hard to find." The dragon says.
"Then we have no time to lose," Merlin says. The dragon nods and flies away. 
"Care to fill me in?" I ask. I have no idea what Merlin is planning.

Merlin and I wake Arthur up the next morning. 
He wakes with a start and looks between us. "What?"
"There's something we need to show you," Merlin says. The two of us start walking, with Arthur behind us.
"This had better be good because this really isn't the time for one of your ridiculous games," Arthur says from behind us.
"We were thinking about last night and how you were saying how you'd given up all hope, how you were a poor leader and a shoddy king," Merlin says, ignoring Arthur's previous statement.
"Shoddy?" Arthur says.
"Fine, shabby," I say.
"Thanks," Arthur says with sarcasm lacing his voice.
"Well, it reminded us of a tale Gaius once told us." Merlin continues.
"Merlin, I'm really not interested in your favourite bedtime stories," Arthur complains.
Merlin and I both stop and look at him.
"For once in your life, just listen," I say. Arthur raises his hands, and we all start walking again.
"Many years ago, before the birth of the five kingdoms, this land was in an endless cycle of bloodshed and war. But one man was determined to end all that. He gathered together the elders of each tribe and drew up plans for their lands to be divided. Each would respect the others' boundaries and rule over the land as they saw fit. That man was Camelot's first king-- ancestor to all that followed, including you, Arthur."
"Bruta," Arthur says.
"You know the story?" I ask.
"Yes. Every child in Camelot does. Can I go back to bed now?" Arthur asks.
"No, there's another part you haven't heard." I point out.
"Really?" Arthur asks. I can practically hear his eyes roll.
"When Bruta was on his deathbed, he asked to be taken deep into the forest." I say, continuing the story, "There, with the last of his strength, he thrust his sword into a rock. If his lineage were ever questioned, this would form a test. Only a true king of Camelot could pull the weapon free."
Arthur stops and stares at me. Merlin and I stop too. "Are you making this up?" 
"Of course not." Merlin and I say at the same time. We continue walking.
"All right. If it's true, why haven't I heard this story?" Arthur asks.
"Well, history isn't really your strong point, is it?" Merlin asks.
"Then where is this rock?" Arthur says, ignoring Merlin's remark.
"Oh, it was lost many years ago during the Great Purge," Merlin says casually.
"But... we've managed to find it," I say.
"I've never heard so much rubbish in my entire life," Arthur says.
Merlin turns to look at him, "Are you calling Gaius a liar?"
"No. I'm calling you an idiot." Arthur stays, stopping next to us.
"What's that then?" I ask, looking at the rock with a sword in it. Merlin and I walk to the clearing. Arthur follows us. Suddenly every single person who escaped Camelot emerged. Including all the knights.
Arthur turns to us, "What the hell are you two playing at?" 
"We're proving that you're their leader and their king," Merlin says.
"That sword is stuck fast in solid stone," Arthur says, pointing out the obvious.
"Yes, and you're going to pull it out," I say.
"Liv, it's impossible," Arthur says.
"Arthur, you are the true king of Camelot," I say. 
Arthur looks at all the people then back to us. "Do you want me to look like a fool?"
"No, we are going to make you see that Tristan's wrong. You aren't just anyone. You are special." Merlin says. "You and you alone can draw out that sword."  Arthur pulls out his sword and sticks it to the ground. 
"You two better be right about this," Arthur says. He walks to the rock and stands in front of it. He looks at everyone then puts his hand on the sword. And pulls nothing happens. He lets it go and takes a deep breath.
"Nothing, not even this stone, can stand in your way," Merlin says. Arthur steps back, then puts his right hand out and grabs the sword.
"Have faith," I say. He stands for a few seconds, Merlin's eyes glow, and Arthur pulls the sword pulls out from the rock. Arthur holds the sword up and stares at it.
"Long live the king!" Leon shouts.
Everyone begins chanting.  "Long Live the King! Long live the king! Long live the king!"

A while later, we all begin planning to take back Camelot.
"What about the drawbridge?" Arthur asks.
"Well manned." Leon states.
"As are the Northern gates," Percival adds.
"The battlements on the south side?" Arthur asks.
"Arthur, even if we can get inside, she has an army." Percival points out. He does have a good point.
"And we have what-- A few hundred?" Arthur asks, looking around.
"And they still outnumber us," Percival replies.
"Yeah, but only 3-to-1," Arthur says.
Leon and Percival chuckle.
"And do you think they'll fight?" Isolde asks.
"They'll fight for Arthur," Leon replies.
"It's not for me they have to fight for. It's for Camelot." Arthur says.
"No, Arthur. It is you the people love... and you that they will lay down their lives for." Leon says. "I know that I would ride into the mouth of hell for you."
"And I." Percival nods.
"And I." Merlin agrees.
"Well, you know my answer," I say. Arthur squeezes my hand.
He pulls his sword out, "Then to the mouth of hell it is."